Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1977 Silver Jubilee 50c Holds Up Well

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 306Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
625 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2020  10:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Every time I come across one these 1977 50c coins that commemorates the 25th anniversary of the Accession of Queen Elizabeth II it always amazes be how good a condition it's in!

Has anyone else noticed this about this particular coin?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
777 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2020  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
indeed however similar dated 197X don't do so well 1972,1973,1974 I have never seen a good one of those (best one was 1972 EF I would say), note I have found 1985 (even about AUNC one) and many 1993,1997
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7476 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  03:21 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's strange. On my vacations in Australia in 2003 and 2018 I remember getting a couple of 1977 Jubilee 50c coins and thinking they were in much better condition than I would have expected!
Valued Member
Australia
291 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were hoarded in their millions. Extremely popular when issued. Everyone wanted one in the hope of making a few dollars. Over time it has become a dud in terms of increased value and are gradually being released back into the population as people realise this. Almost every collection I've seen over the years has a few(and a lot more) of them. Still a very nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
624 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They were hoarded in their millions.

Yep,similar to the Charles/Diana Coins,in 50 years time they will probably be still worth 50c.
These days unless its a extremely small mintage or has Gold/Silver content Coins will struggle to be worth more than face no matter what the condition.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1320 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, mine is pretty much UNC. Also notice the 1970 Cook 50cents, 1966 Silver 50 cents (Usually EF/AU) seem to survive better than post 1994 50 cent coins - I have seen 2005 WW2 ones worn down to VF yet still shiny!

Also see a lot of standard obverse coins dated before 1990 in F - VF condition and cloudy. These are not hoarded like the commems. Unlike NZ a lot of 20c and up Australian coins seem to have commem designs. We could learn from the Aussies.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 306Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05