Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 LMC Copper Penny Coated In Zinc Then Coated In Copper?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 267Next Topic  

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  9:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1943Copper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Originally, I had posted a picture asking the question if my copper penny had a zinc plating that was chipping not knowing that there were no copper pennies with a zinc plating under a copper top plating, only to later discover everyone claims they do not exist. Yes this was actually shocking. And I could not believe no one had seen one. As I assumed many of the 1982 copper pennies were made this way. I did my best to take pictures with my crappy phone to no avail.
The statistics on the 1982 penny have long been questioned. First there were 7 types, and as of lately (3 years or so) It has now been updated to 8 types with the introduction of the 1982D small date copper. That being said, I believe there may be two more types, a 1982 copper penny with zinc plating under copper plating. I originally thought many of the pennies were zinc with plated copper and never questioned it. After hording pennies for over 40 years I never weighed these because I assumed they were zinc pennies and never knew there could be a difference. Recently I decided to go through all of the collected pennies and was able to find several (yes several) pennies that all exhibit a weight of 3.0g and above with what appear to be a copper penny with a zinc coating below the top copper coating. Five of them are 1982 with no mint mark, and one other with 1982D mint mark, again weighing in as copper 3.0g and above.
Has anyone else run across this phenomenon?
Are there millions of these out there that no one has questioned?
Is it possible the disputed carbon marks on these 1982 pennies is related to a sandwich of the copper core, zinc plating and then the copper plating over top?
Are these coins really worth grading if it's shortly found that millions of these exist and no one has questioned it?
Thank you,
Respectfully,
Pillar of the Community
United States
1259 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suggest you submit your coin to a reputable third party grading service for evaluation and attribution. Too, consider reaching out to a recognized numismatic publication and share your thinking--they may offer to put you in contact with undisputed Lincoln cent experts.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16783 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zinc planchet are made by Jardan Zinc in TN, they roll the strip, blank it, plate the blanks and upset the edges then send them to the mint ready to strike. The mint bought copper crip and did the blanking and upsetting themselves fro the copper cents. The mint doesn't do plating. They don't use zinc except for the plated cents and as I said they come in ready to coin. They would not be zinc plating copper cents, and them plating over the zinc with more copper.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
07/28/2020 11:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
901 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is really starting to sound obsessive. Everyone here has given you their opinion, yet you refuse to listen. Either send it to a TPG as ijn said, or accept the wisdom of the community you've asked.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1943Copper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ijn1944, Thank you very much for your suggestion. I am very new to this and feel very far out on a limb. I have plans to get a second opinion later this week, I'm hoping they can give me a definitive opinion/answer. If need be, I'll make the choice to send one of them to a TPG. I was also considering finding someone with an XRF Alloy Analyzer. Although I'm not sure if it will tell me the exact content from plating to plating to core back to plating and plating. I have seen that some have those capabilities, but to my knowledge I have only seen them display one level of plating. Regardless, I know they are capable of measuring the total metal content and impurities. I believe the copper planchet is 95 percent copper, but not sure if the other 5 percent is zinc or tin normally. I'm hoping maybe Conder101 can advise. Thank you

Conder101, I had no idea of who made the planchet, or how they were delivered to the mint. Thank you for the education.

SamCoin, I appreciate everyone's comments. Yes it maybe a little obsessive, but if you believed you had some in your possession and believed as I have stated there may be millions out there how would you frame it? Respectfully.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3212 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PLEASE send ALL of your coins in question into be graded! It will be a great educational tool for you to learn. PCGS is the best of the bunch. Please do get back to us with the results, we look forward to hearing from you! You may be on the verge an amazing discovery!

ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think about it, the switch to copper coated zinc coins was to save money. The regular copper cents were costing more than a cent each to make, so the change was to cut costs. Why would they then try a process that cost more money? Take a copper planchet, zinc coat it then copper coat it? This would cost more than the regular copper cents that already cost too much. Makes no sense at all.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1943Copper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lcutler, I agree with you. Makes no sense.
Pillar of the Community
United States
901 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it makes no sense, that's usually a good indication that your assumption was wrong, not that you need to just keep beating your head against the same faulty conclusion until someone confirms it for you. By all means, send it off if that's what it takes, but at this point I'm starting to wonder if you'll let it rest once a TPG rejects the error designation or if you'll have to take it to every TPG and coin shop in existence until you find a person who will agree with your version of reality.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send them all.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20639 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The original topic was locked for a reason. Do not start another one. Send the coin in to a TPG since you're so sure. When you get it back, take a picture, and start a new topic.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05