Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Type Set Addition: 1896 Victoria 5 Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 977Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11130 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  03:00 am Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one is pretty dark, but the price was good so I gave it a chance. It was pretty difficult to photograph through the slab, especially the reverse because it is inset so much that the slab itself created a shadow. I have seen that there are Large 96 and Slanted 96 varieties of this and to be honest, it looks kind of like both! What do you think?

Also, what are your thoughts on keeping it in this ICG slab? I plan on getting raw coins as much as possible to avoid the "slab markup" unless I just find a good deal.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Valued Member
Canada
433 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous - nice toning, rims are outstanding and there's plenty of detail in the obverse. I would agree that the obverse ie EF but not sure about the reverse - maybe more like VF-30? Hardly matters - it's such a problem-free beauty....nicely done. I have limited experience with Canadian silver (focused on Newfoundland). Is it hard to find coins like this?

I'm agnostic on graded/ungraded. Personally, I find the slabs to be a bit of a pain in the neck - 2x2 cardboard of those little envelopes are preferable in my view. Though I can see the wisdom of slabbing a rare thing like this from a conservation point of view.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3247 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2020  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would remove it from an ICG slab ... they are noted for inaccurate grading, The old "rule of thumb" for them was to subtract 10 to 20 points from whatever was there. I agree that the Rev is much worse than the Obv.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11130 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  03:16 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments & suggestions! I didn't set out to get any slabbed coins; this one just happened to be a low enough price to take a chance on it. I am not personally fond of this slab style for such a small coin (you can't even really see the reverse rim) and I also do not trust the grading accuracy. So far, I have purchased seven coins for the type set and this is the only slabbed one so I may crack it out if that continues to be the case. My original intention was 2x2s in a binder.

Quote:
Is it hard to find coins like this?

I am definitely not qualified to answer that question as I have only been searching for Canadian coins for a few weeks.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11130 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  01:35 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took some new pics since I cracked this one out and thought I would add them here. I can't say they're much better, if any.

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Valued Member
Canada
433 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice - the disparity between obv and rev remains. Excellent detail in the laurel and the eye for example. I still say EF on that side. Rev....more like AVF maybe? Though it looks a little better now that it's liberated from the slab. The leaves have the sort of 'molten' quality that comes with wear. Given the difference from the obv, maybe this reflects the original strike more than specific wear? Hard to tell. Anyway, thanks for the update. Really nice.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
569 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking the reverse die was severely worn when this coin was struck, and this is what was minted.

Nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coin
and here is my opinion.
you have a1896 wide date with a rep 6 over 6.
retail value approximately CAN $ 50-60 in VF 30 and CAN$ 70 in EF 40.
I would crack it out also and retake the images with a different light. it can make all the difference in looks. However, it is what it is.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3551 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:05 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This date is notorious for weak reverse strikes.
Nice coin !
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 977Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05