Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Kennedy Half Dollars Were Not Issued For Circulation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 497Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - The long-running Kennedy half dollar series kicked off production in January 1964, literally weeks after President John F. Kennedy was assassinated by self-proclaimed American Marxist Lee Harvey Oswald during a presidential procession in Dallas, Texas, on November 22, 1963. A mourning nation hoarded the new Kennedy half dollar from the moment it was officially released to the public on March 24, 1964.

Public demand for the new Kennedy half dollar prompted the United States Mint to strike more than 430 million 1964-dated Kennedy half dollars - a number more than double the amount needed to provide all 195 million men, women, and children living in the United States at the time with an example of their own. But the coin was largely viewed as a 50-cent memento of the beloved president, and the public collectively stockpiled virtually all examples they could get their hands on.

Kennedy half dollar, 1970-D 50C, PCGS MS67.

The Disappearance of Kennedy Half Dollars

Within months, a denomination that had circulated widely and freely throughout the United States prior to carrying Kennedy's likeness had suddenly disappeared from circulation. It was a situation exacerbated further still from the ongoing speculation in silver bullion, which had hit then-record prices of $1.29 around 1963 and induced millions of Americans to accumulate silver coins, including dimes, quarters, and halves, whose 90% silver compositions were suddenly worth more than the face values of those coins.

The United States government debased the Kennedy half dollar in the following years, first in 1965 when the half dollar's composition was switched to a 40% silver clad format then again in 1971 when silver was eliminated completely in lieu of a copper-nickel clad profile. Yet, the public continued saving Kennedy half dollars.

There was - and remains to this day among many non-numismatists - a fallacious perception that all Kennedy half dollars regardless of their condition are worth more than face value. Perhaps this belief arose from the general lack of Kennedy half dollars (or any half dollars) in circulation. Or maybe it was connected to the understanding that 1960s Kennedy half dollars contain silver - and therefore perhaps all do (of course, most issues made since 1971 don't). Or there could be other factors contributing to the public's longstanding general view that Kennedy half dollars are something that should be saved.

Read the entire article.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3502 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting.

I wonder if they will update the article if and when this nugget from Conder101 proves to be true...

Quote:
The 2017 half dollars were probably a for circulation issue. There were never any announcements but the 2019 mint report shows that for fiscal year 2018 (July 2017 -June 2018) 8 million dollars worth of half dollars were shipped out for circulation. And awhile back there was a report from a coin roll hunter that he got nearly an entire box of bank wrapped rolls of BU 2017 half dollars. Also if you check mintage figures the typical mintage for halves since 2001 and been 4 to 6 million per year That woud take care of the mint sets, roll and bag sales. But the mintage for 2017 jumps to somewhere around 17 million. Fiscal year 2018 also reports a 3 million dollar seigniorage profit for half dollars, No other year for the past ten years does.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1797 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm curious about this: "But the mintage for 2017 jumps to somewhere around 17 million."

The US Mint report at https://www.usmint.gov/about/produc...insyears=906 gives Kennedy half figures:

2016: 4.2M
2017: 4.7M
2018: 10.9M
2019: 3.4M
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I am not sure where Conder101 got the 17 million figure.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1686 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When my son and I traveled to Ecuador in late 2018, we received 2017 and 2018 Kennedy halves in change on numerous occasions. I even brought a handful back for some of the members of our local coin club who have been putting together sets from circulation.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
1797 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's interesting. I knew the small dollars circulated there, didn't know about the halves. Maybe that's where the extra 2018s went.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
90152 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 497Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05