Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Collect Iberian Ancients ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 332Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  1:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bcuda to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I love the ancient Iberian coinage.
Anyone else collect them ?

Here are a few of mine.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3626 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one but you don't see them everyday at the LCS.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3724 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bcuda, very nice group.
That is one nasty looking boar on the 4th coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3724 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bcuda, very nice group. I don;t collect ancients, but I sure appreciate many of the beautiful examples shown on these threads.
That is one nasty looking boar on the 4th coin.
Learn More...
United States
23210 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent group thanks for sharing them. I like this type but haven't gotten around the add any to the collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I do collect them, and thanks for posting. Your collection is great!

I particularly like the ones from the Phoenician settlements.

Here are some a few less well known issues.

Castulo bilingual

Castulo another bilingual

Abdera

Ibiza, Ebusus

A Roman issue, Augustus from Celse

Obulco

Osset

Gadir

Irippo
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1968 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some lovely coins!....A lot of these are on my want list.
I have a few....
Castulo, Spain AE As. 30 mm, 22g. 76-45 BC.
ISCER SACAL, youthful male head right.
CAST SOCED, sphinx right.
Burgos (2008) 709; Ripolles 905; Villaronga 14.

Iberic Spain, Sekaisa. AE23, early 1st century BC.
Obverse..Youthful male head right between two dolphins.
Reverse..Celtiberian legend SEKAISA beneath horseman galloping right, holding spear.
Ripolles 1569; Burgos (1987), 699. Villaronga 39;

Spain, Bolskan (Osca). Circa 150-100 BC. AE Unit (10.35 gm, 24mm).
Obverse: Bearded head right; dolphin behind.
Reverse: "BOLSKAN" in Celt-Iberian in exergue, rider on horse right, holding spear; star behind.
CNH 8; SNG BM Spain 734; SNG Copenhagen 325. VF.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  07:36 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one case where if you go to the source you actually get a lot of lots to go through I have found. So eBay Spain always has a nice selection. (And it is a friendly enough language we Americans don't need Google Translate to figure out what we are looking at in my opinion.)

https://www.ebay.es/b/Monedas-antig.../bn_16586703

That said the collectors of these are very specialized and not widely generally dispersed across the spectrum. What I mean by that is if I buy a lot I never do well selling them individually unless they are really nice pieces for some reason and I just only deal with them when they fall into my lap as part of another old collection I received. This group is like Nabateans for me. Just such a finite amount of people who collect them. What I really like about the Iberians is you can see the creation of the later depictions of the Spanish style of artwork for bulls for example. I love to see Romans with a Spanish influence in how they are drawn just like I like to see the Greek Gods morph into Kushan Indo Greek styles. The influence these unknown artists have on us to this day is nothing short of astounding if you think how the world draws a cartoon Owl and then you look at the Athens Tetradrachm and can't help wonder if that perhaps single original artist stamped on mankind how to depict these.

Wonderful Iberian collections you all have!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5196 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coins in this thread.
Learn More...
United States
23210 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins, I have to look into getting some of these. Very enjoyable thread.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins one and two in my post above should be labeled Castulo 'Latin legends' rather than bilingual.

This Obulco has both Latin and Iberian script

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 332Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05