Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922-D LWC, Is This The Weak D W/ Die #2 That Has Strong Reverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 282Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  8:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, it's been awhile for me, trying to find something worth bringing here for help.
It is a 1922-D, but I don't know if it's the weak D variety, as it does have a strong reverse, and the Red Book talks about die #2 being worn, but showing a strong reverse.
I've tried lots of pictures with different lighting, some also with no zoom on the microscope and some with full zoom. Hopefully you'll have enough.
If not I will have to wait and purchase a camera/picture box of some sort to get better pictures.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Pillar of the Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics are definitely a bit dark, but looks to just be a 1922 D with a good amount of ED. At least in a couple pics, the D is too prominent to be a weak D, and again, I think any weakness is due to ED
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Ty2020b!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50499 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"D" is clear in pic #10. Total overload. Damaged coin worth less than $5.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16936 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a weak D. Not really strong but not weak either.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the upthread comments, 1922-D normal die state.

I wonder if the obverse surface crud is paint. If so, it might come off with an acetone bath. The obverse scratches would detail it anyway, so there wouldn't be much downside to sending it for a swim. Just a thought.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone, I will give it a bath!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the 'NT' on Cent, that is Machine Doubling on the right side of those devices.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 282Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05