Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unmarked Uncirculated Dollar Bill

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 811Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  8:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sunnee50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am brand new here. I need some help. We have inherited a 1977 Dollar Bill that has everything it is supposed to on the back but the front does not have a treasury stamp, a serial number, nothing. Not even the matching numbers in each corner. It is in mint condition. Coloring is perfect. Is there any value to this. We have seen some similar averaging for $300-$400 on Ebay and some even higher but ours is missing more things than those are. We have no idea who to go to to get the value. We know that the pawn shops will offer way lower than the real value so that they can make a huge profit. (Pawn Stars taught us that) Does anyone have any clue about this? We are in Western Pennsylvania.
Edited by Sunnee50
08/03/2020 8:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is referred to as a missing overprint, which lacks the 3rd printing. I'm not an error collector, so I can't give you an accurate price, but like all things it is dependent on condition. Folds, wrinkles, stains, and even a light bend would bring down the value. Actual eBay sales that match the condition of your example are probably a reasonable indicator of value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5449 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Missing 3rd printing. Very collectible. Condition, as always, is important.

Look at eBay similar items sold for a ball park value. My guess is It would bring a couple of hundred, or more, on an eBay auction.

A knowledgeable coin shop, or dealer, will offer around 100 to 150 for it. No dealer is gonna pay anywhere near retail, or book value, for this kinda stuff.

Thanks for posting and good luck!

Oh...a big .... .... to the Community, too!
Edited by westernsky
08/03/2020 9:39 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sunnee50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, both of you. It sounds like it is going to be worth more than what the others were going for for theirs that was not missing everything like ours is. I would never sell it to a pawn shop, that's for sure. I had a suggestion to contact a grading service but that would cost money. This bill doesn't have one fold, one tear, one stain. It is in excellent condition. I will keep researching and try to find someone who can give me a value and where to sell it for top dollar. My husband doesn't want to hold onto it, he wants to sell it. Times are tough for us like it is for everyone right now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5449 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can put it on eBay with a "Buy It Now" price YOU think it's worth. You can also accept best offers in the eBay listing, too.

It is what it is!
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jake the Dog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could try an auction house such as Heritage Auctions, but keep in mind they may have a limit value wise on consigning just a single item. You would also be paying auction house fees, and I'm not sure about how soon they would be able to put the note in an auction if they accepted it. Wouldn't hurt to talk to them though, just make sure they address your questions when you call. I've only ever purchased from them, but on that end their customer service has been great.

By the way, Heritage I believe could send the note out for grading which they could recommend.

All in all though, if you need cash quickly, EBay might work best. Calling around to some places like Heritage could also help put a better value on the note. I would hazard a low estimate of $350 to a higher estimate of $750 or more. But condition, is it graded, will it be part of a large auction, how soon since a similar error was sold, etc can all come into play.
Edited by Jake the Dog
08/03/2020 11:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2840 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF. Nice error note. It appears to be legitimate and in AU condition. Error notes typically sell for more when authenticated by a reputable third party grader. Unfortunately, unscrupulous sellers manufacturer fake error notes and piece-of-mind has its price. I would value it between $300-$500, maybe more if encapsulated.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35519 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Isn't there a special note printed in 1977? Just wondering if it one of the special notes as well as an error?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2840 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a series 1977A $1 FRN, known as a Natick Test Paper error. The 3rd print ended up being printed on the back of the note.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35519 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Natick Test Paper is the one I has trying to remember,thanks.
https://currency.ha.com/itm/small-s...3572-22604.s
Sunnee50,please post a photo of the reverse,thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
08/04/2020 09:58 am
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sunnee50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and thanks for all your help, you guys. Here is a picture of the back. There is nothing wrong with the back at all, at least not from what we can see. From what I am seeing in my research, ours is a one of a kind. I also want to add that my husband's sister told us the story behind this bill.

"Mom was the one who counted all the money in a big retail store. She got all her money straight from the mint. She counted a bundle of 50 ones and kept coming out with 51. She went bill by bill until she found the misprinted bill. She exchanged a dollar of her own money with the new dollar. After mom found it she called a collector and was told it wasn't worth anything, that the Treasury department didn't like their mistakes circulating out there. It should be returned to the mint."

Needless to say, she kept it and put it in a vinyl holder and it has been kept that way all these years.

Edited by Sunnee50
08/04/2020 11:23 am
Learn More...
United States
90039 Posts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sunnee50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!! We took the bill to a local coin and currency dealer. They are sending it to be graded at the cost of $40. And it will come back in a sealed holder with a description like the one that is shown above. Doing this will make it even more valuable. He feels it is a 3rd printing error but there is the possibility that they ran out of ink.
He also will work with us to either buy it from us or
he'll sell it for us. Thanks for all your help everyone!
Have a blessed day!
Edited by Sunnee50
08/04/2020 2:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice note! Someone here might pay more than the dealer, I'd check back in before you sell it.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sunnee50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will do that! Thanks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 811Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05