Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918 Penny--Cleaned/Planchet Error/Other?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 390Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
56 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  12:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All,

This penny has some interesting marks. At first I thought it had been cleaned and then I saw a similar Wheat penny on ebay that said it was a planchet error. Some advice please?

Thanks.

Bill

Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks fairly normal to me. It doesn't look cleaned. It looks like a nice coin from here. Some type of east/west striation lines on the obv and rev. You think it's from a harsh cleaning? It might be. It also might be part of the coin. The mint luster looks about right. Others will chime up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luster looks fine, but I'm mainly focused on the striation marks on both obverse and reverse sides on this
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35491 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be considered a "woody'
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say cleaned and a bad try at trying to retone at some point.
Edited by Daves Errors
08/04/2020 2:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1565 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it's a woody--a planchet composition issue. Google the term 'woody copper coin' for more complete info and cool images. Aside from the woody matter, the coin looks like it may have been cleaned at one point in its past. Nice coin. Good example of a woody.

I have a few earlier wheat cents with a similar woody look.
Edited by ijn1944
08/04/2020 2:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone-interesting. With that very useful info, to me, up close, it looks like the obverse is like a woody and the reverse is more like it was cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some type of scratches here.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50426 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what to make of this. it has an unnatural look to my eye.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46177 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The color looks artificial to me. The scratches on the reverse maybe from the cleaning the coin went through. If we are seeing fine scratches, that is what has happened to this coin. (Note the wear on the cheek, looks like it was rubbed with something?)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3538 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Defiantly not a planchet error, regardless what a seller said on eBay.

To me. the coin does look either cleaned or somehow damaged on the surfaces.

ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understood. Thanks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 390Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05