Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 D Nickel - Guessing Machine Doubling?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 241Next Topic  

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  01:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GBiscuits to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Guys,

I'm new here still, I found this coin in pocket change (hence in pretty bad shape). I'm thinking maybe Machine Doubling? Let me know what you think.

Also, is it normal to have Machine Doubling on both sides?

Thanks,

-GB

Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You got it...MD
to CCF
Pillar of the Community
United States
815 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And
Pillar of the Community
United States
3542 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a "guy" but I'll give you my opinion as well. Yes, you have Machine Doubling on your nickel. (good guess).

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10878 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  02:28 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GBiscuits to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, I'm still learning. Also no offense meant by the "Guy" intro, I tend to address mixed (all gender) audiences that way (maybe I need to rethink that), kinda like saying "hey ya'll" etc... I sincerely Appreciate the insights!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3542 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GBiscuitsm, thanks for your kind remarks, no offence taken.

I realise I am in a very male heavy field, although there are several other females here too!

Again welcome, it's nice to have you in the family!

ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46177 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD usually appear on the outside edges of one side of the devices. Note the affected area is actually a reduction of the normal size of the devices. On a doubled die, the spread is noticed in the centers of the devices. They appear wider than normal, not smaller than normal:

But most of the time on the newer single squeeze doubled dies, the doubling is on the central area of the design, not the outside like the example I posted. So look on the lobes and the entrance on the building for the DDRs for the single squeezed dies:

Always keep in mind also to check listed examples of doubled dies on the sites to see what to look for. You will save yourself a lot of time.
V.V listings:
http://www.varietyvista.com/index.htm
Brians:
https://www2.briansvarietycoins.com/listings
For cents also coppercoins.com:
http://www.coppercoins.com/advsearch.php
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GBiscuits to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you coop! Great info.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 241Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05