Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tough One. 1884-O Morgan With Nice Toning

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 666Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way this got a MS-66?!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4156 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Current bid $275. About 15 bidders. But may have a premium for toning so I don't think I'm giving the grade away just yet. Nobody yet perfect including the (+) designation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2289 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's only one significant bag mark, on the reverse, so I guess a 66+ is possible. But I don't really like the toning, and I usually like toned coins. Definitely not for me at that price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
847 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
66+ it is
Pillar of the Community
Canada
663 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this did grade MS-66+ I'm gonna be really disappointed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one. Typical soft New Orleans strike.

The obverse has a minor ding near the nose and another small one on the cheek. There are minor contact marks in the hair above the ear and on the cap. The fields are beautiful. The rest is toning. I'm at MS-66 obverse.

The reverse has a lot of chatter, including one fairly deep contact mark SE of the eagle's left wing (our visual right). I can't quite see MS-65 on the reverse, but MS-64* would fit better.

I'd net it on technical grading to MS-65, and bump it to MS-65* as an upward eye appeal adjustment.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me it is straight up unattractive.

If you like it, go all in.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4156 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the technical grade. I think it got the (+) for the rather remarkable obverse toning.
Edited by fenton
08/09/2020 10:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50475 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Call me way off base - congrats!
Edited by Coinfrog
08/09/2020 10:47 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 666Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05