Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited War Pennies And Nickels Not A Collector

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 491Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add billmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Forum. The moderator Richard had to help me get on here. I just have two coins that I would like your opinions on. They are two 1943 d pennies. Both look strange and would like to put them to rest. One has two colors. the typical newer steel penny look with some brass present and some signs of rust. A few edge issues. The other looks very good but with a half circle stain on it. Other than that it looks perfect to me. I had inherited this group of coins from my father that had served in WW2. I do not expect any value to these but I want to put them out there for your viewing. There are many foreign coins with this grouping. Thanks for inviting me on to this forum.

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are two different pennies. Sorry for the bad pictures. I am not very good at this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Howdy Bill,

Unfortunately these steel cents aren't the best. Both appear to have been replated. Original coins have more of a satin finish.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50475 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically just worth face value, sorry.

to the CCF!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, why would they re plate them? I will look through the others, but I think these were the ones in question?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bill -

I don't know why some of these were re-plated. Perhaps to re-sell as novelties i.e. war pennies as you mentioned. Most people would prefer a shiny coin and wouldn't think about them not being original as issued by the mint.

If you have War Nickels, those are 35% silver and worth $1.50 each at a minimum. You can tell War Nickels 1942-1945 because they have a large mintmark on the reverse over the dome of the Jefferson Memorial.
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The steel cents are worth about .10 if you were to sell them to a coin shop
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4037 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
197-'s JC Whitney home plating kit? Anodizing kits too! Probably anything you wanted to plate.

I don't agree that these were plated but I could be wrong.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
08/08/2020 4:51 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19582 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favorite coins. And why do they get replated? Many reasons. And with many different materials too. I have some plated in Tin, Zinc, Chrome and my favorite in Copper.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14018 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have some plated in Tin, Zinc, Chrome and my favorite in Copper.

Do you have any plated in Gold ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennywise142 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you have any plated in Gold ?

To the OP.. As just_carl said many people plate coins for many reasons. Wouldn't recommend plating most coins as doing so would dramatically reduce their value.Your coins are a nice link to your father's war service. Keepers for sure in any condition.
Edited by Pennywise142
08/09/2020 12:29 pm
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05