Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Mint Error Overstrikes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 292Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  6:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - Counterfeiting workshops, particularly those in China, have produced thousands of different counterfeits of Chinese coins and other numismatic issues from around the world. As a result, counterfeiters can have thousands of different dies at their disposal. Counterfeits of inferior quality don't get easily passed off as genuine, or they become exposed as fake, which often gives counterfeiters motivation to try fixing their dies to produce better specimens - or produce "errors" to pass them off as premium pieces that defraud people. Over the last few years, hundreds of these pieces struck or overstruck with counterfeit dies have been submitted to PCGS and returned as not genuine. Yet they continue to appear on the market being sold as genuine mint errors and have even been certified as genuine by some other services. Today, I will highlight four different types of examples we have seen.

This first piece is a China Szechuan 7 Mace 2 Candareens or Dollar (1901-08) listed as Y-238.1 and L&M-346 with the variety where the V for PROVINCE is an inverted A. This piece is struck with counterfeit dies and flipped over and struck again with counterfeit dies. This intentional flip-over double strike is counterfeit. One can tell from the newly struck luster on this "circulated details" coin. Another diagnostic is the way the striking occurred, with both strikes being within the collar and details from one of the strikes being off-set; this would have happened only if being broadstruck or off-center, which that strike would have been partial or out of collar. Another diagnostic is the inconsistent striking details of what appears on both sides; the counterfeiters wanted the appearance of a dramatic error for premium sale, but what is struck - and double struck - is inconsistent with actual mint produced strikes and actual errors.

Read the Entire Article
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3237 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2020  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have something similar in my collection

I am not certain if the original host coin is genuine to start off with but this a Chinese Qing Dynasty 1911 Empire coin overstruck to 1914 1 yuan Gansu Province.

Gansu province 1 yuan is actually quite scarce in any condition and command high premium. When it was first released, its silver content is lower than other provinces which meant that many were traded at a discount and were not quite welcomed with the public. Today, it commands serious premium.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 292Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05