Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PCGS Must Be Desperate . Hmm ?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 668Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14023 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It just doesn't make any Cents to me .
Certification # is legit . No errors , no varieties . Nothing but a common brown wheatie .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would PCGS be desperate?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35547 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2292 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I found that in a bag of wheaties, I doubt I would have even set it aside....
Pillar of the Community
United States
9163 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my question is. who would waste $$ grading this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9353 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look who the seller is, edynamicmarketing, The king of questionable toning....

edit to add - this offering sums it up for edy - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-P-Aus...AOSwVD9cr0mu
1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
08/10/2020 2:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
who knows...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
my question is. who would waste $$ grading this?

Someone that knows no better
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14023 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why would PCGS be desperate?

For the audacity to take submitters money to grade and slab this Lincoln .
Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What ticks me off is that they'll tag a coin questionable color when it is nearly mint red at times, but straight grade a coin like that, probably because it has no real value, but a semi key or key wheat should be regarded differently.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4189 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For the audacity to take submitters money to grade and slab this Lincoln .

I dont think it should be PCGS's responsibility to determine what should or should not be graded, I'm pretty sure people send in near worthless coins all the time. For example, if someone were to come on this forum with an obviously damaged coin thinking it were an error, and submitting it to PCGS anyway desbite out advice, I have no problem with PCGS taking their money and sending the coin back designated as damaged.
Edited by Adam_E
08/10/2020 7:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2292 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He's a seller of artificially toned coins. My guess is that he buys cheap slabbed coins and then somehow gasses them in the slab so they get some color. That would explain why ugly coins are in a slab, but obviously not why they were sent to PCGS in the first place. Here are a couple more from the same seller.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14023 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My guess is that he buys cheap slabbed coins and then somehow gasses them in the slab so they get some color. That would explain why ugly coins are in a slab, but obviously not why they were sent to PCGS in the first place.

I have to disagree with your theory . I don't see how anyone can think that coin has good toned color . And I don't believe this seller sent it off to PCGS for grading and slabbing . BTW , who in their right mind would buy a slabbed common date & mint 1946 crappy looking Wheat cent graded MS-61 , when you can buy a full red MS-64 for a few bucks ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2292 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't say the color looked good! I suspect these aren't his finest works--probably his rejects that turned out poorly. If you can buy a slabbed mint state coin that someone is dumping for a buck, artificially tone it, and turn around and sell it for $50, that's a pretty good (albeit unethical) business model. He's got over 15,000 feedbacks, so he must be having some success...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16585 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What ticks me off is that they'll tag a coin questionable color when it is nearly mint red at times, but straight grade a coin like that, probably because it has no real value, but a semi key or key wheat should be regarded differently.

Indeed - NGC too.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Suomi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is probably not the same one in the holder, hence why theres only 1 photo
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 668Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05