Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Identify Lines On Burnished Eagle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 515Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  4:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone help me identify what the dark lines on this 2020 burnished eagle are. At first, I thought it was just some schmutz or some fibers on the coin, but looking carefully and it seems to be an integral part of the coin rather than something on top of it. It's graded sp-70 by PCGS.
I'm sure the experts here have seen something like this before!
Thanks!

CCF Advertiser
United States
916 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Check ksammut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ksammut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like someone drew on it! More seriously, maybe it's a struck-through error? I'm not too familiar with things like this, so someone else should be of more help. Interesting that PCGS graded it 70. You would think it wasn't there during grading to get a perfect grade... unless something like that doesn't affect the grade? (or the graders were snoozing!)
Young Numismatist - You are welcome to visit my eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/numismaticswithkenny - over 2000 numismatic listings!
2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year
ANA Life Member and District Representative
Twitter - @numismatist2001
Instagram numismatistkenny
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35465 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a fiber on the coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4864 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree and could have been added after grading
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also thought it was a fiber at first, but it has no dimension, just flat, almost as if someone had taken a gel pen and drawn the lines there. I just received it from APMEX so I was wondering whether it's worth keeping or if I should return it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your not happy with it...return it. I would
Pillar of the Community
United States
1134 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no Idea what you paid for it, but they aren't available anymore, so if you return it it might be the last one you get your hands on. Just something to think about.

can you get closerand more in focus and also do a shot of it at a distance, like arms length as if you were holding it and looking at it to get a feel for how noticeable it was to the grader.

I'm leaning towards "struck through hair strand" actually, which would inbed into the surface without disturbing much, but if you removed it the line would be there where it was.

Other option is,,, really, the grader did it during grading but before encapsulation, and he'd already given it a SP70 grade?

I'd think they noticed it, but wouldn't attribute as a strike though unless the submitter paid for it to be attributed, but could it be noticed or go unnoticed by a grader?
I mean technically it should be SP69 as it's not perfect,,,, yeah, just odd. Not sure what you should do, but it won't be easy to get a replacement any time soon for it.

did you look up the slab number on PCGS see if there's any info available or a picture from the grading?

a single fiber or strand of hair would flatten in the strike, and may not imbed far enough into the surface to disturb it much, I mean it's struck at around 85 tons of pressure. it will pretty much just flatten a strand and do nothing to the die and not much to the coin surface. A string or thread is something else of course larger diameter.

I mean we'd be talking about an average diameter of 99 Ám or 0.00389764 inch diameter, that's pretty small and would pretty much just smash.

I dunno. Please, how about a closer, in focus picture, maybe can identify it better, then a full coin picture in "normal" perspective without magnification to get an idea of how visible it really was to a grader.

SP70 seems awful strange to me.

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried taking a few more shots, but none of them came out too well. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the lines actually slightly cut into the coin. I've added a shot that hopefully shows that. I think I'm going to get a coinscope so I can see it better (any recommendations appreciated!]) and I'm definitely going to keep it now as a curiosity and because they're no longer available! Once I get the scope, I'll take some close-ups and make a new post.
I did check the PCGS website, but nothing unusual in the details and no picture. I paid 104 for it through APMEX.
Thanks, everyone, for your input!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That picture is much better. It looks to me like like something was on there when it was struck. It makes one wonder if the 3rd party grader even noticed. I wouldn't consider that coin perfect. I could perhaps see giving it a perfect grade if they noted the strike through on the label as well, but they didn't do that.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35465 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
captainmandrake1,
What is your photo taking set up? It is very good.
John1
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismagic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possibly lamination from a flawed silver planchet? The pic from today looks more like a crack than an ink mark or fiber.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All good points!
I saw the issue as soon as I took it out of the box so it's hard to miss.
I'm using an iphone 7 camera to take the pictures. : )
I'm going to get that coinscope and get a better view and send an email to PCGS and see if they can tell me anything about it.
Thanks, everyone!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10616 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we get a pic of the entire slab?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35465 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
captainmandrake1,
You may want to make a post in the photography section with a step-by-step instructions on how to use an Iphone for coin photos. Also,a step-by-step on how you posted it here on CCF. Members have a hard time posting pics here and taking very good pics with their phones.
John1
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I filed the slab away already, but I do have one not-so-focused picture of the whole slab that I took. The lines are not so defined in the picture, but still quite visible despite the abysmal picture conditions. For the other pictures, John1, it was really just the iphone zoom and a halogen bulb to light it up. This one I just uploaded is worse because I took it under a ceiling mounted fluorescent!

Edited by captainmandrake1
08/15/2020 2:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the lines raised above the field or recessed below it? If raised maybe a die crack, if recessed maybe scratches or strike through?
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 515Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05