Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My New 1975 New Zealand Coin Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 411Next Topic  

Australia
44 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  10:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is something I got pretty cheap but am very happy with. When It arrived I was really shocked to see that New Zealand had dollar coins back in the seventies, and boy were they big ones, you wouldn't have fitted many of those in your change purse.

*** Edited by Staff - Uploaded images here. ***
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1349 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it helps - Those big dollars were only set coins. New Zealand did not have a circulating dollar coin until early 1991 with the small dollar coins dated 1990.

They issued between 10k and 400k of those sets each year, the dollars were legal tender but not meant to circulation. We had $1 and $2 notes until 1990.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
90183 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

How stable is the OGP material? The coins seem to have survived well over the 45 years.
Australia
44 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whats OGP material?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1349 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He means the plastic packaging.

Its quite good, but soft and some corrodes, although 74 onwards its safe. Sets from 1969 to 1973 have the really sticky material and coins should be removed from it. One of these days I will get around to discussing New Zealand decimal era coin sets.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Australia
44 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add polarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh good to know, In the text there is something about the packaging being sealed to prevent contact with the air.
Learn More...
United States
90183 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1349 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2020  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And now I have discussed these sets.

1975 had a mintage of 15,000
Valued Member
Australia
232 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2020  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread.
I too have aquired some NZ sets and love the $1 coins but I didn't know they were not meant for circulation. Thanks Princetan. Unfortunately I am now on the lookout for more sets to lighten my wallet.

I too had the thought of how one would carry those around although that was nothing compared to this sucker!
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces32989.html
Found it when noodling bulk foreign coins. Remember thinking, OMG, if that's 5c, how large are the higher value coins!! Was actually a bit disappointed when I discovered it wasn't a real coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 411Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05