Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What On Earth Have I Found?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 943Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  11:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NeilUSCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone, hoping you can help. I'm new to metal detecting and have only found modern change until I found this. It rang up similar to a modern clad quarter, but not quite the same.

It's about the size of a quarter but much thinner. It doesn't have any obvious grooving on the edge. It is heavily corroded but when wet and under a bright light I can make out some details. Photos attached as well as a sketch of the detail that is revealed when wet under a bright light.

"The future of" is in a raised large font. The circle is engraved. The letters (the first may be a N) are engraved as is the 9.

Help?

Thanks Neil

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35528 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Give it a bit and members will chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any way that you would be able to clean it up a little more and post another couple pictures?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
916 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
perhaps a colonial of some sort is my guess. Pro's will be along soon I'm sure.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johnboyrox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any indication of what metal it is? It's not magnetic is it?
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NeilUSCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hi

When it was in the ground it read like a clad quarter on the metal detector. Now it is out and cleaned up a bit it is reading as pure copper. At the very least very high copper content.

It's definitely not magnetic. On cleaning up more. I've already sat it in 5% vinegar over night which took a lot of surface corrosion off. Before I did that the surface was just a blackish green with no details visible at all. The surface details are extremely faint so I worry any more exposure to acid may actually do more harm than good, but could give it a try if the consensus is to do that?

Thanks Neil

Edited by NeilUSCoin
08/13/2020 11:34 am
Learn More...
United States
17120 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the best I can do with digitally adjusting your pics. I agree that there isn't much to go on.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
29 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johnboyrox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was exploring the possibility that it may be a hard times token of some sort.
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was a SEGA arcade token when I turned the picture 180 degrees. Plus arcade tokens are slightly thinner and lighter than a quarter, made of cheaper metals like copper or brass, aluminum, pewter.

I also thought that it could be a Hard Times token, except many of those were the size of a cent.

Edit -

Here's the best I could do to enhance the image. I stripped most of the color, changed the brightness, gamma and sharpened the sigma a bit. Even flipped it sideways. Still doesn't show much.

Edited by Grelko
08/13/2020 4:30 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NeilUSCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, thanks everyone whos looked and commented so far. Before I posted I was thinking 'this is more like a token than a coin'. I'm from the UK so had never heard of hard times tokens and had to google them.

I think you folks have nailed it. It seems crudely made, which made me think it was an early coin; the font seems large for a coin and the letters are not uniformly spaced. plus the circle isn't in the center of the token. It's thickness isn't uniform (0.03 inch to just over 0.04 inch). But it's pretty round (0.95-0.96 inch). So I can believe someone engraved and struck it themselves.

I took some photos with it wet and with a strong light shining across it and you can now see the letters clearer. I've also added a picture showing where the visible markings run.

As it seems to be pure copper I've put it back in to a vinegar salt mix to see if any more detail can be revealed

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

Just an idea. Would you be willing to do a pencil rubbing of the side with the lettering? If you place a sheet of plain paper over the token and very gently rub the top of the paper with a pencil, you may be able to get a readable image of the lettering. Since the lettering is raised, the higher points would most likely to stand out on an etching.

EDIT: The more I ponder this, the more I think you may have a trade token. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking of the series of trade tokens issued in the 1910-1930 era, such as the Ingle System tokens. There were quite a variety of these "systems" used in local areas to supplement circulating coins. I remember seeing some of them touting themselves as "the future of trade" or "the future of business" or the like. I could be way off base here, but that was the first thing that came to mind.

It might be worth searching online for images of trade tokens from the area where this one was located.
Edited by fortcollins
08/13/2020 8:25 pm
Learn More...
United States
17120 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point @fc. Here is a link to an example that had many of the same design elements as the OP's piece:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces140292.html

Now this one is a modern German token so I'm not suggesting that it is a direct match.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Spence and fortcollins. I'm thinking that's what it must be also.

I should have asked earlier, where Neil found the coin (which country), but I figured that they were from the USA, since their avatar says the United States, so that's what type of coin I was looking for.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NeilUSCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I gave that a try. Another hour in the vinegar and a rub with a tooth brush has changed the color, making it more copper colored. No new insights in terms of detail though.

I removed the kink with two pieces of wood so as not to damage the surface and did a rubbing of each side.

The side with 'The future of' on shows "The fut r f" on the rubbing, the font is raised but very slightly. it certainly looks like there was text all the way around. If I take the trade token idea 'business' doesn't fit (its too short in that font size to go around the token). If I squint and use an bit of imagination I think I can see a vertical line after the F (could be an I and further around a bit of what looks like a V and then almost certainly an S and then the T next to 'THE')

Investment fits almost perfectly in the font size but that is a lot of guess work.

The reverse side is just too corroded, there is a suggestion of a circle engraved just within the lip but nothing more.

So trade token seems the most likely. It was found in Pittsboro North Carolina a depth of a maybe 4-5 inches. The area had a gold rush as well as huge tobacco plantations so it seems perfectly plausible that some gold company or plantation was issuing tokens as payment to workers.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another possibility is that the word may not be "the" after all. It could be a word ending in "he" rather than just "the."

If it is an advertising token, the word could be "ache" (or a variant like "headache" or "backache" or "toothache") or "bathe" or "mustache." If it is a church token, the word could be "tithe." If it is a political token, it could be "catastrophe."

@Spence, The Schuler token (or medal) is an interesting thought. That design is definitely close. It would also be ironic, in a way, given Schuler's role in modern coinage.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 943Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05