Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Antoninus Pius AR Denarius. Unlisted One Or Mule?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 260Next Topic  
Valued Member

France
116 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  10:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear friends,
I've got two denarius of Antoninus Pius. Both of them have the same reverse COS IIII.
The left coin is RIC 137 ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP.
The right denarius averse is posthumous DIVVS ANTONINVS.
I can not find the coin in RIC. May be mule or unlisted one?

Edited by pastpost
08/13/2020 10:07 am
Valued Member
Germany
74 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DirtyHarry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi! If you are sure about its authenticity, then it certainly looks like a mystery to me.

I have never seen a DIVVS ANTONINVS coin stating on the reverse how many times the deified emperor has been consul.
My experience of course, is very limited compared to other fellow forum members, so I recommend waiting for more opinions.

The first coin, RIC 137, has been struck from 145 to 147 AD. That means, it ceased to be minted 14 years before the emperor's death. Perhaps they are not the same reverse dies as in the DIVVS specimen? Otherwise, quite odd.
Edited by DirtyHarry
08/14/2020 02:20 am
Valued Member
France
116 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is 100% authentic.May be immitation?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1033 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both coins appear to be fourrees. The copper core is exposed on the left coin. The lumps in the field on the right coin are likely blisters where the copper core is corroding below the silver plate. Sometimes the counterfeiters mismatched obverse and reverse.
Edited by Kushanshah
08/14/2020 09:46 am
Valued Member
France
116 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first coin (left one) weight is 2,99 g.
The weight of the second coin is really too heavy - 3.55 g.
I think it's silver platted one...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5938 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd wager it is probably an imitation - Not sure whether it's a fourree or not, but the mint shouldn't have still had the thunderbolt-over-altar reverse dies by the time Pius had died, so a mule is nearly impossible.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 260Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05