Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

GB 1750 Half Crown - George II Genuine Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 439Next Topic  
Valued Member
New Zealand
457 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would appreciate members views as to if this coin is genuine or possible fake

Many thanks

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7466 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  02:46 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane is our authority on halfcrowns, but it looks OK to me. What's the edge like? The edge inscription is something the forgers always had trouble with, just as they do today on modern British 2 coins.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
449 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  02:50 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see anything obviously wrong with this one, and the wear is consistent with a coin of this age. Have you checked the weight and silver content? Also check the die axis is correct.
All this does not guarantee it is genuine - the best of the fakes are so good these days that it is difficult to be sure. A complete metallurgy test might throw up anomalies (such as a higher radioactive content, indicating post nuclear age), but even that can be faked by using genuine old scrap coins.

Nice coin if right and one I would be happy to have in my collection!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17266 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may wish to check it for accurate weight, but I thinks it looks OK. Has cameo wear.
Valued Member
New Zealand
457 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your valuable information and advice - a number of things I can check there - greatly appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1309 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is my coin! So I have no idea what you need to do Bas, unless you want to pay me $225 for it.

It was sold by Howard Mitchell, passing in without reserve and he offered it to me for $199 down from $250. I bought it and received it Tuesday August 5th.

I bought it 2 weeks ago. It had a strange pinkish glow and I challenged the dealer and he assured me it was real and from an old man who died in the South Island! He offered a full refund if not satisfied and I left it at that.

How did you (Bas Warwick see it)

Anyway it rings like silver, the edge says Vicesimo Quarto, which is year 24 of his reign and that is 1750. The size is 33mm and weight 14.98grams and looks identical to my 1746 Half crown - this thing is probably real and is worn down to aFine condition so unlikely to be fake and it feels old with coin orientation and slightly uneven planchets expected for milled.

Bas - Is Howard still selling it or someone else. If theres 2 or more, we will know its fake.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
08/16/2020 10:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
New Zealand
457 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Princetane

I had it on my watch list for possible purchase but was a bit suspicious and didn't bid. It disappeared and obviously you were the one who bought after auction and got what seems like a bargain (US $130).

I was interested to know if members thought it was genuine or not.

Dont worry Howard is not advertising another AFAIK. Me being a bit suspicious because I did query another coin of Howards which a few including yourself thought didnt look quite right.
http://goccf.com/t/379801

Edited by Bas S Warwick
08/16/2020 11:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1309 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2020  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bas, its all good - I am still a little suspicious. But Howard is a professional and I have had dealings in the past and he's abit arrogant but fairly honest. You will more likely be overcharged by him rather than be ripped off with fakes.

Plus its Auckland, a small area and any dealer consciously ripping off the collectors won't last long.

Good to see another Aucklander here!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Valued Member
New Zealand
457 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2020  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane

As you say, we are more likely be overcharged by him, so not sure why he would price it so low in the first place, or let it go at a lower price. Coins of England (2018) price it at F US$200, VF US$575. EF US$2850

Might pay to get another opinion when possible.

Valued Member
New Zealand
457 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane

Very strange all the sellers listings have vanished from TM
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1309 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2020  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not grade it at Fine, to me it is probably only Very Good to gVery Good and generally for coins of that age VG is worth to the value of a Fine piece.

I trust Howard, he has been dealing since the 1980s and has good feedback, he may be just getting older (I remember he was a very overwight man too) so probably just illness or old age.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1309 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2020  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Talking to Howard, I have decided to return the coin and he has offered a refund.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1309 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2020  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sent back to the dealer today, so Bas if you want it, I am sure he will give it to you for a couple of hundies.

You can see the unnatural coppery colour.

I am not fully convinced its fake, but the refund ensured I could buy my nice instant florin collection and I know for a fact a pile of mostly Fine condition 1920s and 1930s coins are likely to be real!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 439Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05