Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 P Roosevelt Dime, Reverse 68?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 248Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
183 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  02:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found it in a coin roll that I got from the grocery store yesterday.

The last two pictures compare it against another 1969 P dime.

The dark spot at the 12 o-clock area, was a piece of fuzz.

Also, by the extremely off chance, since the 1968 and the 1970 can both be S with no S, could this be a 1969 S no S? I still don't know the difference between a business strike and a proof coin.

Edited by Grelko
08/15/2020 02:13 am
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  02:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just found three 1970 D dimes in the same roll as the 1969, that look like the reverse of 68 also. The two deep marks in the torch.

I thought I found a fourth, but it was a squashed 79 D.
Edited by Grelko
08/15/2020 03:10 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35494 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
6576 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I still don't know the difference between a business strike and a proof coin.

When you see your first proof coin, you will know it. The surfaces are just like a mirror. Go to youtube and look up a video on proof coins.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Edited by Earle42
08/15/2020 11:14 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46177 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42,

I'm still learning about a lot of this, so I'm sorry if I come off sounding rude or anything.

I do have a sealed proof set from 1980, but I still don't see any difference when I compare them to a 2020 dime for example. I don't want to open the set and chance ruining any of the coins.

Here is the 1974 S (impaired proof) dime that I found in a coin roll the other day. The mirror finish is almost gone, so how would I be able to tell if it was a proof or not, if it didn't have the particular mintmark for a proof from that year, if it even had a mintmark. http://goccf.com/t/380388

What about the S mint mark coins that are actually uncirculated instead of proof?

Or the error coins that are proof, but have no mint mark?

Weighing them wouldn't work, seeing that there are silver and non-silver proof coins.

Many of the coins I get from a coin roll, do seem have the thicker square "wire rim", with or without the mirror finish depending on the year. So, unless I'm pulling 20-30 proof coins per roll somehow, they all look just about the same in detail from being circulated for so long.

Or, could it be possible that I'm very often getting rolls of mixed uncirculated/business strike coins and collections that someone dropped off at the stores around here.

Like I said earlier, I'm still learning.
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1 and coop,

The four coins I pulled from the roll yesterday, all look like they have the torch with the two deeper lines, same as the the one in the link, just circulated more.

Thanks for the picture of the 1968 no S dime.
Edited by Grelko
08/15/2020 4:07 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 248Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05