Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 50c Ml Cr - Grade Opinions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 709Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1606 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seller images, cropped by me, and PCGS TrueView.

I'm wondering why it got the grade it did, so I'm curious what others say. It is SP.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8086 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SP64
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
812 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel I'm going to get a lesson here but I'm going to say SP66.
Looks great to me.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3463 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SP65
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8086 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like there's rolling lines on the planchet especially on the reverse, that's why I don't believe it's more than 64.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
942 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me too: SP-66
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50352 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say SP-65.
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like SP-65 to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1606 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for replies so far. @DBM, I'm curious what "rolling lines on the planchet" are, as opposed to die polish.

There's not really any "trick question" involved here, but the responses so far indicate that I'm correct in being curious about the assigned grade.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3043 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
minimum sp 64-65
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10742 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SP-65
True North
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8086 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kbbpll your reply leads me to believe that the assigned grade is much lower than SP64.
Unbelievable!
Can't wait for the reveal.
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
08/16/2020 4:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
942 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
your reply leads me to believe that the assigned grade is much lower than SP64.

Agreed; I have a feeling they graded it SP-50
Pillar of the Community
United States
1606 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I waited long enough to reveal.

SP62. So not horrendously under the lowest guess on here, SP64, but it still made me wonder. If you look up the cert# and download the TrueView yourself, it's better quality than the one I put through the Image Optimizer. I'm surprised no one said "cleaned", but maybe when I said "SP" originally, everyone took that to mean straight-graded. Which it is.

I bought the Cook specimen a year ago, knowing it was graded SP, UNC Details Cleaned. I'd wanted one since I was a kid, so it was a 60th birthday present. Since then, I've looked at every image of George VI specimen 50c I can find. I have pondered the possibility that their "cleaned" designation on mine is in error - that they mistook die polish for cleaning. A large number of them are filled with die polish lines, even SP67 examples. So as far as "roller lines", I'm not sure if that's a factor when grading. There are also a lot of struck-through little bits of whatever they polish the dies and/or planchets with. Mine under a scope has two that are retained struck-through - the little bits of wire brush are embedded in the coin.

As far as the SP62, I was expecting at the grade that it would have a lot of chatter from mishandling. All I can see is what looks like a couple light scratches through the hair and perhaps the cheek. I guess we'd have to see it in hand to really know.

Another interesting observation with these is that mine is clearly concave on the obverse and convex on the reverse. Similar to the concave/convex designations for the 1948 specimens. It seems like the 1947 ML CR might all be concave, so maybe that's why it isn't noted anywhere.

Thanks for the replies and putting up with this obsession of mine. :)

Edited by kbbpll
08/16/2020 7:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8086 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks a lot better than 62 in all the pics you posted.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3463 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes you have to consider the fact , that the TPG is not correct .
Wait ! No that never happens ! ( Sarc intended)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 709Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05