Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found A Silver Antoninianus In A Lot Of Uncleaned Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 227Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2571 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  12:57 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was pleasantly surprised to find a Trebonianus Gallus IVNO MARTIALIS silver antoninianus in a lot of uncleaned coins I purchased from a seller in Serbia.

I bid on the lot because there was a VIRTVS AVGVSTORVM AE-3 of either Constantius II or Vetranio in it. There were no photos of both sides in the auction but it's the second from the right on the bottom row). It turned out to be Constantius II and it has issues with broken patina areas.

However, there were several other nice coins in the lot including the Gallus. It was heavily encrusted and I thought it was most likely a fouree. It is the coin in the upper left of the seller's photo.

However, after some cleaning I started to wonder if it might be the real deal so I put it in lemon juice and it cleaned up nicely.

It has some copper/red deposits of "horn silver" (I think that's what it's called) on it, but is a decent coin.

The reverse is interesting and one I hadn't seen before. The IVNO MARTIALIS reverse was only used by Trebonianus Gallus and his son Volusian. I came across this link that talks about it:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ju...alis.329837/
Paul Bulgerin
Edited by Paul Bulgerin
08/15/2020 1:17 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancient Turkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SCORE! Even has some silvering left. Start buying more from this seller I guess it looks like he was selling some quality coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have bought several uncleaned lots, never found a silver. A rare find and a very good grade too. Congrats.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
348 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations - what a great find.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 227Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05