Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Visit To Empuries..wow.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 675Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2071 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  2:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just got back from a short 3 day break to Cadaques a beautiful little seaside port about 3 1/2hrs up the coast. We primarily went to this area to visit Port Lligat and the absolutetly breathtaking house where Salvador Dali and Gala lived....It's a must see!...
The whole of this coastline North of Barcelona up to the French border 'The Costa Brava' is quite stunning!
......I digress................

Heading home and about 3/4hr south are the Greek and Roman ruins of Empuries WOW!....
Around the 6th century BC, Greek traders from Phocaea, modern day Foca in Turkey, founded the first settlement at Palaiapolis, modern day Sant Marti d'Empuries here in Spain. Some years later, due to increased commercial activty with the local indigenous people, the Iberian Indiketes tribe, the Greeks created the new sector of the city, the 'Neapolis' the colony was called Emporion which in Greek means market. The diagram below shows just how big the Roman city was in comparison to the Greek Neapolis....Only 25% of the Roman city has been excavated and is a work in progress. I actually sat for an hour watching and chatting with two archaeologists as they were unearthing another Mosaic floor!! Wonderful!

Here's an aerial view showing how little of the Roman city (to the left) has actually been excavated..

The city thrived and in 218 BC, at the start of the Second Punic War, a Roman army headed by Gnaeus Cornelius Scipio landed at the port of Empuries with the aim of blocking land access to the Carthaginian troops, and so started the Romanisation of the Iberian Peninsula. In 195 BC, Marcus Porcius Cato set up a military camp at Empuries this being the embryo of the new Roman city. In the times of the emperor Augustus, the Greek and Roman cities became one both physically and legally under the name 'Municipium Emporiae'. Emporiae gradually lost its importance as a trade route due to the expansion of other Roman cities such as Gerunda(Girona), Barcino(Barcelona) and Tarraco(Tarragona) and at the end of the 3rd century AD the whole of the Roman city and the Neapolis were abandoned.
Here's a few photos of the site and from the small museum exhibiting different artifacts found on site...Some from the Greek sector and others from the roman city.
Mosaic showing the sacrafice of Iphigenia 1st century BC.

Some coins..

A couple of the site..

Mosaics are absolutely everywhere!

Anyhow thought I'd show a little of what's here for future reference..Well worth a visit.....Paul
Learn More...
United States
23325 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Paul, what an adventure so much history in your part of the world. I wish there was that kind of history here in the states. Excellent post very enjoyable.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7714 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting, Palouche! I went there about 20 years ago: it was fascinating then, but I'm sure much more of the old city has been excavated since then! It's a lovely location by the Mediterranean and well worth visiting if you are staying at one of the nearby holiday resorts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5312 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoyed your informative post, Paul. Sounds like a memorable trip.

About thirty years ago I had several artworks in an exhibit at the Taller Galeria Fort in Cadaques, and they never sent them back to me. If I'd known you were going to be traveling to the city, I would have asked you to stop in there to find out, on my behalf, what the delay is all about. LOL. As if I've been holding my breath.

The east coast of the Iberian Peninsula is such a historically and culturally rich area. From further down the coast, here are Greek colonial blackware potsherds from my pottery collection, probably c. 5th century BC. With one exception, all sherds were surface finds (by the previous owner) from 1966 at the Penyal d'lfac in Calpe, Spain. That coastal site was close to the speculated location of Alonis, a Greek settlement mentioned by ancient authors including Stephanus of Byzantium.

Edited by Bob L
08/29/2020 3:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2071 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments guys...

Quote:
so much history in your part of the world

Yes I feel really privileged Ron and its not just the large settlements etc....Last year I was driving inland from Tarragona to visit a place called Olot, some of the best wine in Spain comes from this region! Saw a sign 'Roman villa' so I stopped to have a look.....Incredible!...A huge Roman villa in the middle of Peach orchards...Really well preserved with wonderful mosaic floors and 3 huge olive oil presses!...A wealthy Roman family who had decided to produce high quality oil near to the river Ebro, for easy transit, and no sign of any kind of settlement nearby!..

Quote:
I went there about 20 years ago: it was fascinating then, but I'm sure much more of the old city has been excavated since then!
I think so...Speaking with the archaeologists was quite informative. They said that this year they would uncover at least 35 more mosaic floors in the Roman city alone and just the area that has already been excavated!..Another group were working on the North side of Neapolis where back in January the MD'ers had uncovered hundreds of metal artifacts including coins that are now being cleaned and registered...They are also now going to extend the museum to the 2nd floor....As you said the setting is beautiful, looking out over the Med surrounded by pine forests...

Quote:
About thirty years ago I had several artworks in an exhibit at the Taller Galeria Fort in Cadaques, and they never sent them back to me.
...Come on Bob this is Spain and they're still packing your paintings to make sure no damage is incurred in transit via 'El Tortuga Express'!.....Seriously though if you want me to ask some questions I can?...Your an amazing artist so someone somewhere has a couple of yours hanging in their front room for sure!...Bob if you ever get the chance visit Dali's house, it's incredible! We came out of there feeling so happy!...He was on a different dimension to the rest of us and each room gave us a completely free feeling. It's difficult to explain....You'd love his painting studio that has been left 'as was' when Gala died, and he never returned to the house....He always painted seated so he had devised a huge metal framework with pulleys and a slotted hole in the floor so he could move these large canvasses L/R and U/D for ease of painting. He was 3/4s the way through finishing a huge painting of Gala which is still in place and even his palate, brushes etc haven't been moved from that final day! Quite an emotional tour to say the least!...
Edited by Palouche
08/29/2020 5:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5312 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...if you ever get the chance visit Dali's house, it's incredible!

I had hoped to get up that way, to Figueres, to the Dali Theatre-Museum, during my trip to Barcelona back in 2011 but, sadly, just ran out of time. Regarding the missing-in-action awork: it was just a couple of etchings, not paintings. And therefore reproducible and not terribly valuable. I don't think I ever bothered to inquire. No big loss. Seems like a hundred years ago.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United Kingdom
438 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a super post. To have such an amazing site virtually on your doorstep, is awesome Paul.

The mosaics look to be in an excellent state of preservation. Quite stunning in fact. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
Learn More...
United States
17676 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A super post--glad to see that someone isn't stuck at home!

Quote:
Last year I was driving inland from Tarragona to visit a place called Olot, some of the best wine in Spain comes from this region!

A spent the night at Olot a couple years back on my way from the sea to the mountains (Roses to Andorra). If I ever make it back, I'll have to check out the villa.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2071 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well eventually managed to find a bronze from Empuries....Difficult to find these in such nice condition...
Quite excited about this coin!...It feels quite amazing to have walked around a place where this coin was minted over 2000 years ago!
It has great provedance being from the Ex Archer M Huntington Collection (HSA 1001.1.10234). Archer M Huntington (1870-1955) had scholarly connections to both the American Numismatic Society (ANS) and the Hispanic Society of America (HSA). His collection of Spanish-related coinage numbered almost 38000 coins and became the most complete collection of Spanish-related coins ever assembled outside of Spain.
Here she is....
Iberia. Indigets. Emporia AS...27.88mm/10.05grams..27-25 BC..
Obverse:Head of the goddess Pallas Athena wearing a Corinthian helmet with the visor raised and a large plume.
Reverse: Pegasos flying right, laurel crown above rump; EMPO below.
Villaronga, ACIP 1098 - R6

Edited by Palouche
10/21/2020 05:24 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United Kingdom
438 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is good to see that your search turned up trumps, Paul. A very nice example, and great provenance too. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Very nice write up Paul. What a great trip you had!

Congrats on the coin. I had my eye on that one at one time.

I was able to get this one a while back. It proved to be very hard to photograph because of the grainy surface, the legend doesn't show up very well.

Not sure of the ID, but I think it's ACIP 1093 C.O.G.C.M.A. with Q below.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5312 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coin, Paul - and nice return volley, Scott. Congrats. I like the two-tone patina, which highlights the devices nicely.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2071 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments really appreciated...
This was a tough coin to find on a budget with the amount of detail portrayed and was really pleased to pick this one up!
@Doucet....Nice coin!.....As far as my limited knowledge on this type is concerned and the searches I've done your ID looks good ...Thanks for sharing...

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 675Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05