Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poll Question On The Elusive 1909-S VDB

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,491Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3602 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
smokeriderdon- So you broke it out for your Dansco? You're my kind of guy!!

LOL Yep. All the key coins in that album, and several others, have been removed from the slabs. I take the labels and tape them to the inside of the cover so I know what the grades were.

If I get a key raw, I send it in for confirmation and break that sucker right back out. LOL
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
LOL Yep. All the key coins in that album, and several others, have been removed from the slabs. I take the labels and tape them to the inside of the cover so I know what the grades were.

If I get a key raw, I send it in for confirmation and break that sucker right back out. LOL

I take a picture of the coin in the slab, print it out, break out the coin, scotch tape the label to the picture and put it in a clear sleeve in the back of the albums.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3602 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I take a picture of the coin in the slab, print it out, break out the coin, scotch tape the label to the picture and put it in a clear sleeve in the back of the albums.

I LIKE THAT! I may well steal that idea sir.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I LIKE THAT! I may well steal that idea sir.

No problem. Here are some pictures to assist you.

Edited by USSID18
09/05/2020 7:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19665 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2020  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Kind of hate to say this but the above is only one of 10 I have.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3602 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2020  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

See, now thats just showing off.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2020  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I knew it was only a matter of time before the BIG guns came out!

Carl- Was that one slabbed at one time? Does the rest of that page have as much mint luster?
Edited by USSID18
09/06/2020 09:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
631 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2020  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a PCGS MS63 last year. Still need 13 to complete the set including the 22 plain and 14 D.
Learn More...
United States
90934 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2020  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pillar of the Community
United States
687 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting poll.

i'll address each of the five choices.

i only have LWCs, not LMCs or LSCs. most modern-era coins I cannot get into. I can get into LWCs, tho. I'm trying to complete the uncompleted base set that was handed to me when my grandpa J passed.

while it is true enough that I have never owned an 09-S VDB, I have never been in the position to seriously go after one until just recently. I can certainly justify the cost, but the cost isn't what's held me back from having one. I could have certainly saved up enough cash for one at anytime, but i'd want it to go along with all the rest of the wheat cents in some kind of set or collection rather than just have that one coin. so, after over a year and a half of assembling a LWC set (at this point just the very basic set) I'm needing just the 09-S, 09-S VDB and 14-D. i'll get them eventually, I'm not in a rush. not sure in which order they will be acquired.

i am not at all concerned about acquiring a fake.

i have no spouse, so I'm not encumbered by the opinion of significant other. however, that being said, as long as my cat is okay I am free to spend at will.

i consider it highly unlikely that I would find one in a coin roll, in pocket change or on the ground. not impossible, just highly unlikely.

truth is I have no idea when i'll acquire it, what condition it will be, how much i'll pay or where it'll come from, but i'll have to find one if I want to finish a base set. I've been looking at them, I see the prices & conditions. I study them. I've passed up numerous 09-S VDBs because I've seen too many of them (between the grades VG-XF) overpriced. I've been seeing plenty of them that deserved a details grade & are priced too high. if I'm going to buy this coin, even at a low grade the coin cannot have any major problems. if I see one that sits around the VG grade but has a big ding on it, I'm not paying $700 for it. the rubbing-down of devices on the coin over time- which is just plain old wear- is fine, I can handle that, and I could most likely handle whatever patina the coin turns out, but I cannot handle a nasty-looking coin (dings, scratches, crud, spots, corrosion) and I just will not pay for a cruddy coin. I will wait til I see something better. most of the time, however, I am not financially ready to drop the cash on it when I find a decent one. I've watched a good many of those go by, too. I'm not worried, though. I'm not in a rush. they'll come to me when it's time.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05