Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884 O Morgan VAM But What VAM (Revised) VAM 48

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2008  2:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
G'Day all me again been doing a bit of this lately and spent a lot of time in VAMworld and still can't find a match for this 1884 O (VF to EF) I checked the CC and E thought VAM 31 looked in VAMworld now 31's 15 and no match as this coin has so many key-points that aren't listed like double E in AMERICA but this could also be MD as well as the top shaft of arrows and the bottom shaft near eagles feet as well as the wreath left and right the bow center and the M on the bow all doubled also clash marks and die polish line as well as die gouge in hair,in "G" for God,between leaves,on the end of leaf,beside poppy and at the end of the bottom lip also pitting around eagles right wing and other places around reverse and O/O mint mark so I have over 70 photo's of this coin and the key-points just ask which part of the coin you would like to see and I'll post the photo's this will save me posting the 70 odd photo's regards Harry
Edited by nuggethill
11/30/2008 01:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2008  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Harry, lets start with a close up of the date and mintmark.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2008  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hope that close enough for you if not I have individuals of them
regards Harry
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2008  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Harry, check your coin for pitting around 'trust' in motto and check out VAM 48 on Vamworld.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2008  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your spot on its a VAM 48"trust" not as pitted but pitted around the reverse all the same but what about the extras the over polish lines the 4 or 5 die gouges around the coin and the doubling if I had time today I would post but I'm off to bed as its 1.30 in the morning for me (1.30 P.M.)I work night shift down under regards Harry
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2008  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
O.K. some interesting things on this coin so I'll post some photo's so you know what I'm talking about
Lets start with the die gouge in "G" for God
next is the die gouge in hair
polish lines in hair
and 4 photo's of the doubling (left wreath bow right wreath and arrows) with what I think is a clashed point of a star on the right side of the bow this could also be M.D.
this coin has a lot more interesting things like clash marks from wing to "In" and on the nape of the neck on the obverse another 4 die gouges and some denticle faults on the front feet of the denticles this is one very interesting coin and that's why I didn't think the VAM was there
regards Harry
Oh and P.S."LIB" in LIBERTY also doubled
Edited by nuggethill
11/25/2008 1:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2008  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Harry, not all oddities are mentioned on each VAM. On the 1884 coins, VanAllen & Mallis apparently used date placement, date doubling, mintmark placement, mintmark doubling and overlapping reeds to determine the VAM #s. The gouge in the G is actually a die chip from a piece of the die breaking off. Very common and not considered when determining a Vam#. Gouges on coins, unless spectacular, are not used. Although they are sometimes used as die markers. Clashes are common and mean nothing, unless they leave behind a visible letter. The doubling on your coin appears legit to me and could be just unmentioned. I'd like to see a picture of what you call reed faults. Thanks, CJ
Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2008  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MorgansRmine, how are you?.I hope well, I see in your last post that you asked Harry to see a picture of what he called "reed faults", I most of missed that statement, I do not see where he states this?.
I might need more sleep or new glasses,and also would like your opinion on this subject, when I break out a coin and are looking to place a VAM#to it I have been starting with the date 1st and going from there.I would greatly appreciate your opinion on this and maybe you could add some of that experience of yours to me, as a rule or procedure in how to attribute a VAM# properly, some sort of system I am looking to follow to accomplish this, THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE, MIKE
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2008  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Morgans Dad Mike I did originally put reid not reed and changed it to denticles sorry mate, C J I ment to say denticles sorry mate work to hard with little sleep then spend hours sorting stamps putting together an early American set as well as post on 3 coin forums so I get knotted every once and a while oh and the reeding is just fine on the 1884 O thanks mate anyway all I'm off to bed will get in touch to-morrow regards Harry
Edited by nuggethill
11/25/2008 7:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2008  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike, Date position is the first thing I look at. If it's in the normal, 2 1/2 denticles from neck point, all very near, far and very far dates are eliminated. Next I move to doubled digits on the date. This eliminates all Vams with more or less digits doubled than the coin I'm checking. If this still leaves me with more than one VAM as a possibility then I check the coin for telltale die markers. Most of the time this will get you just a few Vams that you must decide from. On coins with mintmarks, position and doubling also helps a great deal. The more you can eliminate the easier it is. I find this works the best for me.

P.S. The only exception for me is the 1878s. Here you must decide what type obverse and reverse is on the coin before starting anything else. These tend to make my Excedrin run low, takes lots of notes and live in a fog for weeks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2008  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MorgansRmine, I appreciate your time and expertise in this matter, again thanks, MIKE
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2008  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks C J this is a valuable lesson ( I shouldn't judge a book by it cover )and thanks for the lesson in near and far dates as well very interesting and as you can see I have a long way to go regards Harry
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2008  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just one last photo of the pitting on the reverse you will see it above "In God We Teust"
regards Harry
Edited by nuggethill
11/30/2008 01:01 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05