Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Help Me Grade My Silver Coins And Give Me Some Advice?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 538Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the comments about lack of interest in your coins are probably not correct, but I do think your catalog values are too high.

For example, check out this link:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...H_Complete=1

An 18 Piastres from 1907 sold last month on Ebay for $97.00 with 15 bidders. Good news is 15 bids show a good deal of interest, bad news is $97.00 is far below the book value.

Numerous 1901 18 Piastres sales are also showing up for coins in similar condition, but prices are in the $20 - $40 range.

If the catalog you're using is pre-Ebay or pre-internet get rid of it because Ebay wrecked the accuracy of all those old catalogs, except for very rare coins.

Ebay sold listings are the best way to determine the value of ungraded coins these days. Just way too many data points to ignore.
Sweden
7 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Honk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the response HGK3. I appreciate it.

I definitely agree with you. Do you think the last scanned picture I posted here is a more accurate and appealing than the first ones I posted taken by a phone camera?
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1334 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honk you photos above are much better, but better photos show up how worn these coins are.

Notice that King George has a lot of wear on him, these coins are VG to near Fine.

For Fine, you would expect a fully visible crown band across his portrait. VF the central diamond should be sharp

For EF the pearls either side of the diamond should be sharp and discerned. Should be some lustre

For AU, it should be a full lustre with no visible wear.

For UNC it should dazzle your retinas.

This is the portrait of George at a bare VF/high Fine level - now compare that to yours. If anything its probably a more Fine level - but its a South African half crown this coin and they have a notoriously high level strike on the King.

Still you can see the detail level is much higher than your pieces.

This is EF - AU, so you can see your coins fall well short of this mark.

Condition is crucial and sadly with the overheated silver price all except the 1901s are really worth melt only.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
09/15/2020 10:57 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 538Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05