Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A New Colonial Coinage Book Arrived The Other Day In My Mailbox...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 695Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8340 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2020  12:52 pm Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all I recently received a few new purchases of Colonial Coinage literature and thought I'd share one of them here.

Colonial History in Your Hands
A Colonial Coin Collector's Collection
by Peter Jones

This is a pretty hefty book coming in at 598 pages hardbound at 8.5" x 11" and almost 5.5 pounds or 2 kilos.

It is fully illustrated with full color photographs and graphics. It has almost 300 coins photographed through out the book. Many are full page sized photos.

Sections include: British royal authorized coins, French royal authorized coins, French Royal domestic export for the colonies, Locally made tokens and coins, Imported token coinage, State Coinage and imitation halfpence, Proposed and actual federal pieces, Optional colonial collectibles (Washingtonia, Condor Tokens, Commodity money, Common Foreign trade coins, little used pieces, and coins which should not be in the Red Book).

There is an extensive glossary which includes: numismatic terms, parts of a coins, English, French and Mexican metrology (that's the science of measurements) US GDP, population, and labor costs from 1790 to 2017.

Colonial English, Spanish, French and Portuguese rulers.

Historical metrology and fineness.

Bibliography.

and a 13 page index.

I was really attracted to it as there are not a lot of books that try to encompass all of Colonial America along with the other countries intertwined with our monetary systems at the time, like France, Spain, Portugal, etc. This book seemed to really give a fair shot at trying and possibly succeeding in telling the historical story better than most. A selling point was John Kraljevich penning the forward, I know John and respect his work greatly, if he is involved and putting his name with it then you know it's a through piece of research and history.

About the author Dr. Peter Jones, from his biography; Peter trained at Cambridge and Oxford Universities, UK, doing a dual residency in Family Practice and Internal Medicine. In 1977 he immigrated with his wife, Ann, and their three daughters to rural Connecticut, where he practiced Internal Medicine for 39 years.

His avocations have included classical piano playing, flamenco and classical guitar playing, American financial history, magic, and numismatics. He has also authored Notable Notes, Dow Jones by Peter Jones, Commemorative Coin Tales, The First Medals of America, and with Cynthia Adams, Therapeutic Communication, now in its third edition.

It's not a cheap book at $149.00 + Shipping, but I think well worth the asking price for so much information in a single volume. I've paid a lot more for much smaller books in my past, this one rates reasonable to me.

https://store.bookbaby.com/book/col...n-your-hands

You can try this coupon code at checkout for a nice discount of $60 off though I'm not sure how long it will be good for. The code is "SIXTYOFF" no quotes making the final price a very reasonable $89.00

The book as I understand it is printed on demand and it took me about 14 days before it was delivered to me from the time I ordered it. I do wish the company sending it shipped it in a box, it arrived in only a padded envelope, though it was in okay condition, the envelope was starting to tear open and with a book this heavy it could easily get a corner bent or serious damage to the hardbound cover. There is no dust jacket.

I have so many new books in my library since this summer started I haven't enough time to have read them all yet (only about 2500 pages or so to go still)! This book makes at least 18 or so new books I've been working on since April alone. I plan to share a few other unique items I have picked up at various sales or book auctions. so as always more to come...
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
09/08/2020 12:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
103760 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2020  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LookIng forward to hearing some updates.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 695Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05