Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Did I Miss Out!?! Pretty Darn Annoyed!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 525Next Topic  

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  12:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, so as you may know in my previous posts I've taken an interest in the 1932 D quarter. I was waiting for an auction to end that had this really nice looking one but was literally outbid by 2 cents (not sure how that's even valid/allowed but it happened). Ngl, pretty annoyed about it.

However, upon further inspection (which may just be the result of me attempting to myself feel better), it seems that the 1932 D (top left quarter) has been polished or cleaned at some point ... given it doesn't have all the details (it has most) BUT has its white color. Am I wrong here? What do you guys think? Also it's hard to truly tell because the pictures weren't very clear.

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum! Could someone move it?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10888 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  02:15 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be willing to guess that they have all been cleaned to some extent, but it is difficult to tell from the images. Why is the 32-D being sold in a lot like that? It seems odd.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

All cleaned at one point and quite odd they thought the 32D in the mix.

As far as the bidding, the way a max bid will work. Ex. You set your max bid as $50, someone else sets they're max bid at $200. Well since yours was the second highest bid, the winning bid will only be just over that, say at $50.02. You will never really know what the winning bidders highest bid would be....unless yours is higher of course.

With this you have to decide the highest price you're willing to pay for the item, and place that as your bid. Simply placing a bid just over the current bid amount is typically not always enough. This is why you typically see such big jumps in price at the last second.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50440 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty says it well - you really have no idea how high the winning bidder was willing to go.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2281 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With eBay's standard bid increments, if the winning bidder's max bid was much higher than yours, he would have won it at $1 over your bid. Since he won it by just 2 cents, he likely won it at his max bid. I would have been annoyed, too!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over the years I've come up short on bids too--2 cents, 6 cents, etc. It happens. On to the next opportunity!
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your in-depth responses! I am relieved to hear that you guys agree with the possibility that the coin was cleaned given I hate cleaned coins, I am completely over missing out on this auction (LOL). And yes, I thought it was odd too but that's just the way the seller was selling the lots. They knew what they had though so I'm not really suspicious. However, it was a very eye appealing coin.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2020  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In regards to the eBay comments, I understand how the bidding system works as I've been an obsessive bidder for about 3-4 years now BUT it still gets annoying at times :P

But ye, that makes sense and I understand your explanations. We've all been there :( and like ijn said: onto the next opportunity we go!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16915 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was waiting for an auction to end that had this really nice looking one but was literally outbid by 2 cents (not sure how that's even valid/allowed but it happened).

Other bidder had a max high bid in. When you placed your snipe bid normally the automatic bidding would have bid one increment higher than you an his account. But his max bid was less than one increment higher so it bid his maximum which was 2 cents higher than your snipe bid. If your snipe had been 5 cents higher your would have won and beat him by 3 cents. If your snipe had been more than an increment higher than his max bid, you would have wone at one increment over his max bid.

If you were both sniping and your bad had come in first he would have lost because even though his bid was higher it was not one increment higher than the previous high bid, which would have been yours. If his snipe was first he would have won.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1542 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good explanation Conder101. That's one thing (the high selling fees being the other) that annoys me about eBay. It's not a true auction. If it was, someone else would always be allowed to bid again until nobody wanted to. GunBroker always resets the time remaining to 15 minutes after someone bids if the time remaining is less than 15 minutes. I think 5 minutes would be better, but I think their auctions are much more fair than eBay's. Plus, I think that eBay's sellers are missing out on getting higher sale prices as a result of their format. Of course that means eBay is missing out on additional fees as well.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20759 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember Yahoo! Auctions? They implemented that and closed up shop within 18 months. Buyers HATED it and left, then the sellers left soon after.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50440 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Conder, learned from that.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16915 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. It's not a true auction.

It is a true auction, but it works similar to a mail bid auction where the auction ends at a specific time. The one difference being that unlike a mail bid auction you know what the current high bid is right up to the close of the auction. With the old mail bids you didn't. You just submitted your max bid without having any idea what the competition was like and then found out the results after it closed. Auctions can have several different formats and it isn't really fair to complain that an auction set up as one format doesn't function as a different one. You know what the rules are when you go in and you accept those rules when you submit a bid.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1542 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fair point, though I wasn't complaining about any bid results in particular. As a result of not liking eBay's high fees and auction process, I stopped using eBay years ago. I'm sure deals can be found on coins, but my experience is that eBay isn't worth the time I'd have to put in to finding them. As for selling coins, I've found better results selling to dealers once the high fees are factored in.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest, I enjoy the snipe bidding - makes it fun and sometimes actually gets me anxious (not that that's good but the adrenaline/thrill is definitely there). Its like a game! One in which you could either greatly profit or really mess up.

@Conder Your explanations make sense, thank you! Better luck next time for me I guess!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 525Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05