Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Got A Box Of 1973 S Lincoln Cents From The Bank And I Had A Couple Question

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 690Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  05:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Belbivdavini to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, the other day I picked up a box of pennies from my bank and they gave me a box of 1973 S Lincoln's. They appear to be uncirculated after going through a couple of rolls, but I noticed something that I have never come across before. Every roll weighed 155 grams, but every penny in every roll ranged in weight from 3 grams to 3.21 grams. And everything in between. I've only gone through a few rolls, but in the ones that I did I only found a few that were 3.11 grams and I found 2 pennies that are stuck together somehow.
So first, do all copper Lincoln rolls in a box weigh the same, but the pennies themselves are not consistent in weight?
And second, should I try and unstick the 2 pennies I found stuck together? I can't pry them apart just using my hands and fingernails and I'm too nervous to use any type of tool in fear of damaging the coins.
Any knowledge is appreciated greatly! Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36044 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Cent weight varies,mint tolerance is +/- .13 grams. The stuck coins you could put in distilled water for a soak and see what happens.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14170 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , First of all , another incredible roll find from a bank . Had one a few days ago that was probably a collection dump . But you received a solid box of 73-S memorials that was stashed away somewhere in someone's vault. Incredible . Go ahead and search the ones you opened , salt away a few rolls for yourself tubed , and put the rest on e-bay . I'm not sure what they are selling for now but I would venture saying up to $12 per roll .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5428 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

That is an incredible find 72S all in one box. Keep the better ones and sell the rest.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, another bank find. Guess I need to visit my bank today.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9047 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet theres a S over S rpm or minor doubled die or two in there. Maybe a clip or cud?
Perhaps the coin shortage has things like this coming out of holdings?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing find
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG, what S/S are you referring to? I don't see it in the cheerry pickers guide.
Can you please provide some more info? I've got about 20 rolls of BU 73-S.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9047 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
TNG, what S/S are you referring to? I don't see it in the cheerry pickers guide.

I don't collect rpm's as a rule. I just thought there may be an S/S somewhere out there. I think I saw some on eBay but they might be sellers dreamed up sales. Others here know a ton about Lincoln varieties. I know next to nothing. Just thought they deserve a close look if you are going to open them.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
09/16/2020 1:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7542 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

There are literal thousands of varieties that aren't in the CPG. Just because they're not in there doesn't mean they aren't well documented.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1727 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you take 40 1965 quarters and put them in a roll it will be very short (~1/2" short).

But the odds of a roll of only old quarters coming together by chance are practically the same as walking into a vacuum. Both are possible but it won't happen by mere chance in the here and now.

It's the same thing with the mints' poor quality control of weight.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riellyscions to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16976 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Every roll weighed 155 grams, but every penny in every roll ranged in weight from 3 grams to 3.21 grams. And everything in between. I've only gone through a few rolls, but in the ones that I did I only found a few that were 3.11 grams and I found 2 pennies that are stuck together somehow.
So first, do all copper Lincoln rolls in a box weigh the same, but the pennies themselves are not consistent in weight?

The spec weight of a cent is 3.11 grams and they have a tolerance range of +/-.13 grams so they can weight anywhere from 2.98 to 3.24 grams and still be considered within specification. In your roll you found cents weighing for 3 to 3.21 grams. ALL of these are within spec. Now that spec weight is basically and average of the weight range. In this case your rolls weigh 155 grams and there are 50 coins per roll. That comes out to an average weight of 3.1 grams compared to the "official" weight of 3.11 grams. Pretty accurate if you ask me.
Gary Schmidt
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Belbivdavini to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the replies! I soaked the two pennies in distilled water like suggested and they separated with no problem. I was hoping to find something cool, but they were just normal with more scratches on them. I did however find this one in a different roll. I think it's Struck Through Grease and it looks like there's still grease on the coin. Should I remove the grease or just leave it? If I should remove the grease, what's the best way to do it? Thank you in advance!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36044 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a nice Struck Through Grease. I don't know if you should remove the grease or not. Coop knows though,he mentioned it before.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 690Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05