Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Lincoln Cent --WDDO-001 Found In Pocket Change--Any More Comments?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 244Next Topic  

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  09:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Rich Cooper offered photographs of what a worn 1973 LMC WDDO-001 looks like---see his post below. In my humble opinion, this is how my coin appears in the photographs I provided. It has the same doubling, and I have provided the die die markers as provided by Wexler. Rich did not provide comment, and I am hoping he will...as will others.

If I have this correct, this is listed as Best of Variety by Wexler, a Class 5 CW spread which shows on IGWT and LIBER in LIBERTY. It's got a bit of wear, but it appears to be EDS. I found the applicable die markers as I note below.

uploaded/mb560600/20200916_1973-Lincoln-Cent--WDDO-001--OBV--photo-9-ccfopt.jpg[/img

A short vertical die scratch between R and I in AMERICA.

A curving die scratch near the rim at about 8:00.

Any opinions about the grade?
Edited by mb560600
09/17/2020 12:00 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mb560600 to the CCF!

Your coin is not WDDO-001.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1168 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look like it to me. Not seeing the extra thickness on any of the letters in IGWT, the splitting at the base of the L in LIBERTY, or the splitting at the top of the G in GOD. Die markers should only be used to distinguish a coin you know to be a doubled die or other variety from a similar one, not to prove that a coin without obvious doubling is a doubled die.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sam,
This is a rather worn coin, so some of the areas you question are difficult to photograph. However, respectfully, I disagree with your comments about the doubling which appears on this coin. My review of the photographs shows that the coin pretty well matches the doubling images which are displayed in the Wexler photos for the 001. You questioned whether the G in GOD had a split seriff---see the additional photo of this part of the motto below.

You also questioned the appearance of doubling in the lower area of the L in LIBERTY. The L does have a lot of wear. But see the additional photo below which shows the vertical line through the lower L---which is where the doubling appears in the Wexler photo.

I would be interested to see what others in the community have to say. If you need additional photos of the coin which you feel are necessary to confirm that this is WDDO-001, I will be happy to provide them. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rich--I see the same doubling on my coin as displayed in the images you posted. What is your opinion?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3555 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Sam. It's all in the letters, in this case, the lack of the extra thickness in IGWT .

Your coin is not a WDDO-001.
ša va bien aller
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK,thanks merclover. You say there is no "extra thickness" in IGWT on this coin. But you apparently do not dispute that there is extra thickness on LIBERTY---as you did not mention that. Correct? Will you also agree that the photos appear to indicate that this coin has DDO on LIBERTY and IGWT, and that it has the die markers that appear to be the same as Wexler indicated appear on WDDO-001? I am just trying to understand how this coin can have so much similarity to the 001 but not be considered such. Could this be a new variety or sub-variety?
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05