Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2002 D Dime Large Lamination Die Crack Or Clash?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 250Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
441 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't figure this one out maybe it's all three. I need some help thanks for any info or comments

Learn More...
United States
17120 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might throw in surface staining. Have you looked at an overlay to determine if there might be a die clash?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The clash is to the right of the torch and the line going through the bottom of the torch looks like a die crack or lamination. Also looks like another e over e in one on reverse. I haven't look at an overlay yet because it looks more like a lamination crack
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops I meant e over e in dime
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
50 % missing clad layer obverse rim to rim light die crack from u in United to m in merica
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find.
That is a clash on the reverse, probably tilted since it's a little out of alignment, to the north.
It affects the tops of the letters of "DIME' as well.
http://www.maddieclashes.com/ten-cent-overlays/
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks petespockets55. The overlay matches up. I had brain fog yesterday and forgot where to find them. What do you think about the partial missing clad layer? (not 50% missing after doing some reading). Color looks right to not be environment damage
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RW the color looks right for environmental damage to me. I'm not convinced about the clash either. Those lines would be raised on a clash and would not affect the letters of DIME just the field underneath. I would soak this coin in acetone overnight and wipe off with a soft towel.
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks willburton. There's also an obverse clash at 12 making it look like a spike head and increasing the chance of reverse clash. Also check out the weakness at 7 o'clock where most clad is missing
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Not a missing clad layer so I don't know what it is. Only looks like this with certain lighting. I'll submit to maddieclashes and see what they say. Thanks for the help
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks more like a stain to me.

Obverse looks like it was affected by something acidic like soda?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop. Looks like not much going on besides the line through the bottom of the torch. Maybe a clash or maybe not
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 250Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05