Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian Penny Grading Advice

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 7 / Views: 404Next Topic  

Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2020  11:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Berryl1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there everyone,

I would like some advice on the grades for these two coins, the first is a 1959m penny and the second 1920 no dots penny.

I also am unsure why the 1920 looks like it has fine sand all over it, it doesn't appear that way at all to the eye. If anyone has any suggestions on how to remove that, I'm all ears

Thank you very much

Valued Member
Australia
290 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1959 penny looks Uncirculated.
The 1920 penny is almost VF.

The 1920 has some light verdigris which is fairly normal.
Soak it in WD40 for 15 minutes or so and then wipe off the residue with a soft cloth.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17431 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1920 Penny shows evidence of a die crack through the date numerals.
Sandy texture shows evidence of tiny corrosion pits, coin is genuine.
Valued Member
Australia
119 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Berryl1

I think the 1959 penny is a fake.

I don't like the dodgy lettering on the reverse at all - " S " of Australia and " Penny " is wrong with the " N 's being ordinary - and the Queen has an empty eye socket.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51301 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say F-15 on the 1920.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1590 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks okay to me, but not well struck for a 1959 Melbourne penny - the Perth ones are generally pretty bad.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
897 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevo1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As echidna said WD40 will do the trick but rubbing with a soft cloth can be abrasive.My technique is to then apply a film of dishwahing liquid to the coin gently rubbing it in
BTW the film of dishwashing liquid prevents your fingers from actually touching the coin surface.Then rinse off with warm water and dab dry with a soft cloth.I've restored lots of coins this way which were then successfuly graded by PCGS of which many graded MS so it is a proven method given to me by an old collector many years ago
Edited by stevo1962
10/21/2020 11:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17431 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the soap 'n water method for brightening up circulated gold coins.
Soaking your fingers in soapy water to remove all dirt and to soften the skin a bit is the ideal rubbing tool for soft gold coins. Make sure to rinse thoroughly, then pat dry.
Circulated condition gold coins really gleam when this cleaning method is used.
Never use this method on proofs; an acetone soak is much better.
  Replies: 7 / Views: 404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05