Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

UK Commemoratives Are The Best!!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 254Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
293 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2020  11:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK - I have just been browsing circulating UK commemoratives on Numista and I think most are really great in design and topic. As an Aussie who hardly sees any genuine UK coinage I can say there's some serious coin envy happening!
You Limeys are sooo lucky!
I might put some feelers out down te track for any UKers who want to trade UK for Oz coinage!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is, basically all of the recent ones don't circulate and can only be bought at inflated prices.
Valued Member
Australia
293 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@collector28 - Are they released for circulation but intercepted at the banks by those in the know? I know that happens in OZ for some coins.
I know the 10p alphabet coins are being flogged on ebay for $5-10AU so that's a 3000% mark-up on face value. Crazy. That's why I can only look and drool.
Edited by David Graham
09/18/2020 4:18 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
470 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Alphabet 10ps were released for circulation through the Post Offices as well as in packages to be bought from the RM. Sadly most PO workers intercepted them and so very few got out and most ended up on Ebay.
Since 2017 all the 2s and many of the commemorative 50ps have been "packet only" - ie you can buy them from the RM or through a small number of resellers, all at far more than face value of course. As a result I no longer collect any coins issued by the RM unless they are also released into circulation. I know many other collectors who have taken the same decision.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7604 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the above!

I am also annoyed by the big explosion of crown-size 5 coins, which sell for about 13 each. Until about 10 years ago they were always available at face value from banks and post offices. I normally now just get the ones that are included in the annual BU sets, but I've decided to get all the Queen's Beasts ones because I like the designs. But I have no intention of buying the Tower of London or James Bond series. As for the commemoration of royal occasions, major events such as the Jubilee are fine, but these days the RM seems to think almost any event in the lives of William and Kate's children is worthy of a 5 coin.
Valued Member
Australia
293 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

The Alphabet 10ps were released for circulation through the Post Offices as well as in packages to be bought from the RM. Sadly most PO workers intercepted them and so very few got out and most ended up on Ebay.

It's people like that that ruin coin collecting for those who enjoy the coins rather than seeing them as a means to make money. Also pretty poor form for Royal Post to allow such activities under their umbrella. So sad.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 254Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05