Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Ideas On This 1965 Dime ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 242Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  11:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any ideas on this 1965 dime ?

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Meraxes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen some other denominations with similar looking edges. If I remember correctly, I was told this was PMD, but someone more knowledgeable will likely chime in.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crh1993 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a picture of the reverse too please?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4459 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be an acid damaged coin.
Edited by Jim0815
09/18/2020 12:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It may be a partial collar strike also known as a railroad rim, but I can't be sure from these images. Please post both sides and a closeup of the edge if possible. Also it might help if you know the weight of the coin.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36135 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Looks like acid damage to me. Please tell us in your posts what your seeing and your questions.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46781 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were a partial collar, the reeds would be affected at an angle. I agree, it does look like an issue with an acid dip. We've seen this before on quarters:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
17478 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the acid bath camp on this one. Also, welcome to CCF!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 242Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05