Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Lincoln Cent --WDDO-001 Found In Pocket Change-New Photos

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 236Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  2:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All who responded to my first post either said this coin had no doubled die, or if it did, that it was not WDDO-001. Maybe it was the poor quality of the photos. My apologies for that. I have taken new photos, as you will see below.

Clear doubling at LIBER of LIBERTY

Doubling in IN of Motto. Arrows show the specific areas evidencing doubling.

Doubling in GO of GOD
Doubling in OD of GOD

Doubling of WE, with arrows pointing to doubling lines

Clear doubling at TRUS of TRUST

Clear doubling of UST of TRUST with arrows showing doubling lines

All of the doubling appears to be in a clockwise pattern.
Wexler describes the 1973 WDDO-001 as follows: "A class V CW spread from a pivot at about 5:00 shows on the letters of IGWT, and the LIBER of LIBERTY.
Variety Vista's listing for the 1973 DDO-001 is: "Light spread on IN GOD WE TRUST and LIBERTY."
Note- neither one of these descriptions mentions extra thickness in the doubling. If there was extra thickness in the variety, Wexler and Variety Vista would note same---as you routinely see in the listings.
Not only is the doubling on this coin consistent with the WDDO-001 descriptions, it also has the die markers Wexler indicates in his listing (I shared photos of those die markers in my prior posting).
So, as a former trial attorney, I believe that I have presented sufficient evidence to confirm that the coin is WDDO-001. If you are not convinced, don't just state "it's not WDDO-001" without any further comment. Please state the specifics for your opinion, either up or down. I, along with others who participate in CC, appreciate constructive comments, either positive or negative.
(BTW--I could not edit my original post because it had been more than the time limit of 24 hours; that's the reason I submitted this new post).
Thanks Coin Community!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3020 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All doubled dies should have extra thickness. It may not be noted on some as the separation or notching tends to be more distinct and easier to see.

I see no extra thickness, separation, or notching on your coin. Your arrows point to places on the coin that are being affected by the reflection of multiple lighting sources. Having two light sources on opposite sides of the coin can give the appearance of doubling when it is actually an issue with lighting/photography. A good way to differentiate between lighting issues and true doubling on the coin is 1) look for extra thickness and 2) take photos of the coin from different angles and if the "doubling" moves or changes that's no good.

I do not believe this coin is a doubled die. Keep looking though and you'll find one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1272 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was not a doubled die the last time you posted it, and it isn't now either.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46719 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is Machine Doubling. Note it affects one outside edge direction on the coin on all the devices. (Usually in the same direction) Not a doubled die as mentioned. The devices should be enlarged, not normal size and reduced from the normal size:

Note on the motto, the spread in on the center of the devices on the motto, thus the devices are enlarged, not the same size as normal.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5214 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, your coin is not a Double Die, it looks like a LDS strike,with contact marks and some DDD and plenty light glare doubling on devices. Safe to let it go.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick responses, Tanman, Sam, Coop and Chase. I appreciate your comments.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 236Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05