Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 Jefferson Nickel - Weighing 3.9g - Canadian 5 Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 210Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  3:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pcktchge333 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is it possible that a US 1969 nickel be stamped over a Canadian nickel coin? I have recently found a Jefferson nickel that has a weird look.
It weighs at 3.9g and then when under the microscope I can see what resembles that of a Canadian 5 cent? But I am confused as to hown thi type of error is possible and not sure what to do with it? Value, would it be worth getting it gradded? ANy feedback would be incredibly helpful. I am hoping the images are helpful enough.

Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid soak. PMD.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pcktchge333 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@josephm99

Acid soak? I am not familiar with that term? Post mint damage, possible, but then how about the weight at 3.9g
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid will eat away at the metal, thus reducing the weight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1757 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, exposure to acid--likely a swim in the stuff.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3708 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Canadian 5 cent from that period weighs 4.54 grams. Also, ours were pure nickel and therefore magnetic, so it would be quite easy to check that. Plus, Canadian 5 cent coins were not being minted in the US. There is still the loss of material, which is easily accounted for by a soak in acid. Random shapes might look like anything including a 5 cent Canadian coin.
Edited by oriole
09/19/2020 7:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3757 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all of the above!

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 210Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05