Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Storage For Coins..mylars Or Capsules?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 343Next Topic  

United States
30 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  5:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mikeyboi83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Being new I am at a dilemma on how to store my coins. 2x2 Mylars, snaps, capsules? I find information on them and different opinions but I was wondering what the general consensus is on storing a coin. What do you all use? If it is capsules, at what value does the coin need to be or should be?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3694 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use 2x2s, and pages to put the 2x2s is. But, I have so many capsules would take up too much room and are much more expensive.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14155 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep most of my coins in Mylar 2x2 cardboard holders . They are safe and because I have so many coins they are the cheapest way to holder coins . You can use snap-locs and airtites for a few special coins of high value or slab a couple of high grade beauty's by TPG. But then your getting into high cost storing , something I just can't see .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silverstash119 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it depends on the value.... gold or silver bullion coins like gold or silver eagles or maples I keep in individual capsules and storage boxes. Coins that have been circulated but still between $1-$50 in value I keep in 2x2 flips in a storage box made for the flips just to keep them safe. I keep all my junk silver coins organized by denomination in plastic tubes... I also have a ziplock bag with some general coins I like for one reason or another but don't necessarily care about storing appropriately....I'm still pretty new as well so I'm sure I'll keep changing my approach as time goes on....
Learn More...
United States
17343 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use 2x2s for everything that isn't slabbed.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2x2, capsules take up too much space. Make sure you get a flat clinch stapler. You can get a lot more coins in your storage boxes that way. And less chance of a staple digging into the coin behind it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17395 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only smaller capsules will fit in 2x2 album pages.
All 2x2 Mylar flips fit in album pages.

Larger coins that may need the extra protection miss out, and go into Mylar flips, without the extra protection.
Sometimes I will put a larger coin into a piece of folded acrylic sheet, and staple that. (see below) Omit the Mylar flip.

There is however, a third alternative:
For larger coin that need extra protection, I enclose them in a piece of acrylic sheet recovered from food packaging, that is cut to fit into a Mylar 2x2. The whole lot is stapled together in the normal way, then into the album page. I do this with some crown sized coins.

Capsules do not allow for writing up on the cardboard flip, unless the capsule is small enough to go into the Mylar flip. Useful for smaller gold coins. Gold is soft.

I have used all of the above methods; it depends on the circumstances, and the level of protection needed for the coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19653 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it's a coin Album first then everything else goes into a 2x2 flip.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11032 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  03:48 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a little of everything. I have a few albums ( Whitman & Dansco) for series I've completed or are really working on, 2x2s in 20-pocket binder pages for other various coins to view easily, 2x2s in boxes for duplicates, etc., and slabbed coins in slab boxes. I really only use capsules for silver bullion coins and a few coins I want to give extra protection to. I have a few toned coins in capsules to control their environment a little better.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Learn More...
United States
90863 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mostly Dansco albums for me. I do have some that use 2x2 holders for things that do not fit into the regular albums. I also have a lot of US Mint stuff still in the OGP and I started buying slabbed Ikes a few years back.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 343Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05