Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 UK Coin Collection.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 544Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Australia
305 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  03:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I recently purchased The Royal Mint 1982 coin collection. It does not say the coins are BU, in fact it states "Coins in this collection are uncirculated standard pieces". Yet when I try and locate the 1982 5p on Numista there seem to be only 2 types, BU and proof. I am assuming this is in fact a BU set even though not stated. Is that correct?

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
511 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, for mint issued sets 'standard pieces' means the same as BU (brilliant uncirculated), these are coins produced in exactly the same way as those released for circulation. Proof coins are specially struck to a higher specification.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7625 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  04:36 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David

The 1982 2p, 5p and 10p coins were not issued for circulation.

The only ones available are from BU and Proof sets.

I did once get a 1982 10p in change, so these sets were occasionally opened and spent!
Valued Member
Lebanon
235 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can show us the coins so we can give your the right answer
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36089 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 members with milestones;
David Graham and Hogarth...contest time?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1481 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the 82 to 86 BU sets and all of them are on cardboard with a flimsy plastic shell around the coins. The 82 set I had the shell had turned yellow and split causing the coins to tarnish and now they sit in mylars.

These sets were a cheaper and more glossy product than the proof ones of the era and thus were more popular. My next set from 1993 is on much higher quality card and plastic and has remained more intact. I think 1982 was the first year of this format, although they issued plastic vinyl wallets in 1971 with a set from ½ new penny to 10 new pence and most of these I see are dire, the coins all cloudy and the bronze has no lustre left (Well the pockets were open at top).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
Australia
13446 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These sets were a cheaper and more glossy product than the proof ones of the era and thus were more popular. My next set from 1993 is on much higher quality card and plastic and has remained more intact. I think 1982 was the first year of this format, although they issued plastic vinyl wallets in 1971 with a set from ½ new penny to 10 new pence and most of these I see are dire, the coins all cloudy and the bronze has no lustre left (Well the pockets were open at top).

Yes, these 1982 blister-pack sets are now all starting to degrade, especially if kept in a hotter climate like Australia. Fortunately, this plastic itself does not emit corrosive byproducts as it degrades - it simply becomes brittle and falls apart, causing uneven oxidation tot he coins beneath a crack.

The same can not be said of the vinyl folders. "Vinyl" is of course PVC, and slowly emits acid as it decays. This is why the coins kept in vinyl folders (again, the hotter the climate, the worse the degradation) are all too often corroded and ruined.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Lebanon
235 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can we know if a plastic contain pvc ?
Learn More...
Australia
13446 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It isn't actually the PVC that causes the damage, it's the plasticizer they add to it. "Raw" or "pure" PVC is brittle and opaque; to make it flexible and transparent, they need to add acidic plasticizers (phthalic acid esters are the most common plasticizers used for PVC). Acidic plasticizers can in theory be added to any plastic, though PVC is one that really "needs" it.

As a general rule, if the plastic is flexible and "rubbery", it may have plasticizer in it. More rigid, inflexible plastics are generally safe.

There are chemical tests you can run, if you don't mind ruining a sample of the plastic and you have the gear. The simplest, low-tech test is the Beilstein test. All you need is a Bunsen burner or similar gas flame and a piece of copper wire. If you get a green flame from the plastic wrapped around the copper wire, there's chlorine present - and the most common chlorine-based plastic is PVC.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Lebanon
235 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the valuable infos!!
Valued Member
Australia
305 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Yes, for mint issued sets 'standard pieces' means the same as BU (brilliant uncirculated), these are coins produced in exactly the same way as those released for circulation. Proof coins are specially struck to a higher specification.

My impression was that there is a higher standard for BU (at least from The Royal Mint)
https://www.royalmint.com/discover/...g-standards/
Which is why I wonder if the 1982 set is standard and not BU and if so, is Numista incorrect. It seems odd that the RM would do a BU strike but not mention it on the packaging when they have for other BU sets.

And yes, it is a plastic that is turning yellow but has not yet split. I am currently using PVC but am also transferring the coins into capsules within the PVC. As I am sorting coins all the time I find the coins easy to remove and swap out if needed. I also find the capsules great for examing the edges.

Oh, and Hogarth beat me in the milestone race....
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7625 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on the milestones, guys!

Quote:
Which is why I wonder if the 1982 set is standard and not BU and if so, is Numista incorrect. It seems odd that the RM would do a BU strike but not mention it on the packaging when they have for other BU sets.

I imagine these 1982 coins were what we would consider BU, but, as Princetane said, it was the first annual BU set ever issued and they decided just to market it as Uncirculated. The coins in my set look much better than normal circulation coins that are often heavily bagmarked.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1481 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For you Chronos, my impaired 1982 BU set and 1985 Pound rescued from a Numismatic FDC that was all toned and rotten.

I bought the set 2 years ago and it was damaged with the plastic shell open and yellowed. The paper glued over the shell had separated (The packet I threw away as it was "Trashed").
I have just bought quite cheaply the 1983 - 1986 BU sets and will see if these have the same issues with packaging.

Looking at the coins, they have held up fairly well at least.
I don't mind them in this state, as they were very cheap, the set was $5NZD and the Pound coin was on a cover that cost me 50 cents and had a £1.33 large Machin stamp I also rescued.

The coins are better than circulation quality with a bigger and deeper shine, but not polished - I would say selected coins not dropped into the buckets. there is darkening on the fields mainly as Auckland is a hot humid climate.

In my opinion the 50p and 20p are probably the worst of the lot, large coins with some dulling of the fields.

These coins are in 2 x 2 Mylar flips currently and seem to be holding in this state.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
09/22/2020 10:36 pm
Valued Member
Australia
305 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some nice rescues there Princetane. Good prices too.

Auckland hot and humid.... Sorry, had to laugh after last night in Brisbane. Overnight humidity 50-80% with apparent overnight minimum temperature 24-26 degrees so our overnight temperature just exceeded Aucklands day temperature!
Edited by David Graham
09/22/2020 11:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1481 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ha ha I know, but by the standards of New Zealand, Auckland is hot, our winter temperatures stay above freezing, our coldest month has an average Temperature of 11c, in the UK its like 4c.

Auckland is also incredibly humid, 28c may not sound hot, but when its 98% humidity it is.

It is cold now, I mean only 19 degrees with a low of 7 or 8 as its been clear, but usually it can stay as warm as 14 or 15 degrees when its raining.

I also bought the coins in February, when it does not slip below 20 degrees.

A joke about our weather, if you don't like it - wait 15 minutes and its the South pacific in summer and Scotland in winter!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1481 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just as a knees up also got the 1983 and 1986 sets today, the 83 is okay with only darkening on the pound, However the 1986 is the same as the 82, a split yellowed plastic wrapping and trasjhed paper, the 1p is entirely ruined tarnished and stained black. The rest is fine and again I think both sets will need to be "rescued"

I only bought them as I wanted a 1983 pound that was not in Fine condition (Like the 6 I have) and a 1986 £2 coin, which is in good condition. Plus many 1986 coins never circulated.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 544Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05