Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 Shield Nickel Uncirculated Or Proof?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,002Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another shot with an overhead lamp reflection.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2020  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And, another with a black background.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5290 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There seem to be few uncirculated Shield nickels with such sharp detail and an absence of die cracks. I'd call it a proof, and pretty choice. PR-65, maybe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2419 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the proof camp. Very nice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1134 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the additional pics. I'm moving from probably proof to firmly proof. Shot at PR66.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your input. This has been great. I'll try to take photos of the IHC today.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51265 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still on the fence, but either way, it's a beautiful coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19678 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd guess a possible proof but so what? If a proof, what are you going to do with it? If an Unc, what are you going to do with it? Sort of makes no difference if your just going to keep in a 2x2 and store away. Or you could sent to a TPGS for authentication. And then what?
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
5290 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I remember reading that sets of "minor" proof coins were available from the mint during this time. Maybe your group of 1881 IHC, 3-cent nickel, and Shield nickel were one those sets. If so, it's pretty cool that they have stayed together!
Assuming the other two coins compare in quality to the Shield nickel, I'd send all three to PCGS for certification. Hopefully they would all come back with no-problem grades and consecutive serial numbers. The PCGS holder would provide much better protection than a 2X2 and will make it easier to sell at a solid price, should you ever decide to do so.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2419 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd guess a possible proof but so what?

Since the uncirculated coin is worth about 5 times more than the proof in high grades, it makes a difference if you care about the value of the coins in your collection.

If the other two 1881 coins are just as nice, I agree with sending them all to PCGS for attribution and protection.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll be seeing the other two coins ASAP. The IHC is very red. The 3 cent nickel looks cameo and is perhaps the best of the three. These three coins came from my paternal grandfather. He liked beautiful coins but was not a collector per se, he never owned an albumn or folder. He bought a lot of commemortive halves in the 20's and 30's. He had rolls of $20 gold that he didn't turn-in in 1933 but were later stolen by a housekeeper. He lived in San Francisco in 1909 and loved Lincoln and went down to the mint to buy the brand new Lincoln cents and bought several rolls of what I'm assuming were all 1909-s VDB uncirculated. He married an 18 year old girl in 1920 who cleaned out his sock drawer of all these stupid pennies. How 'bout THEM apples? It's a good thing she was a stunning blonde with blue eyes. I had to split his things with my three brothers and 3 cousins, so I didn't get a whole lot. One cool thing I got was a Spanish 4 Reales and 2 Reales coins found in my great-great-grandfather's pocket when he died in Ohio in 1862. It's my understanding Spanish Reales were used at the time in commerce, particularly in Ohio.
Edited by EDM
09/21/2020 1:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd guess a possible proof but so what? If a proof, what are you going to do with it? If an Unc, what are you going to do with it? Sort of makes no difference if your just going to keep in a 2x2 and store away. Or you could sent to a TPGS for authentication. And then what?
*** Edited by Staff to add Quote tags. Please use them in the future. ***

Not sure what your point is, JustCarl. What happens to any of our stuff. We sell it if it bores us or if we need the money. Or we keep it and pass it on to others. This was probably handed down from my great-grandfather. It's neat that the three coins were kept together for 139 years. Maybe they should stay that way?
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Our resident nihilist.

We are curious apes who enjoy finding answers for our questions. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
It's neat that the three coins were kept together for 139 years. Maybe they should stay that way?
I agree. No real reason to separate them now. Enjoy them while they are in your care; pass them and the knowledge you have gained down to the next generation when you are ready.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1134 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd send all 3 in as well and keep them together. Always a bonus to get the backstory, thanks for sharing.

Curious on the other two
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16976 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I remember reading that sets of "minor" proof coins were available from the mint during this time. Maybe your group of 1881 IHC, 3-cent nickel, and Shield nickel were one those sets. If so, it's pretty cool that they have stayed together!

This is correct the Mint did sell sets of the minor coins, 1 three and nickel five cent pieces. Cost was 15 cents. If I remember correctly in 1883 they also sold sets of the three varieties of nickels for 18 cents. I was wondering if this could have been one of the minor sets as well.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,002Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05