Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Copper Plated Dime In Mint Condition

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 825Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  2:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add justins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I found what looks to be a 2019 copper coated dime?

The dime is in mint condition. I was wondering if anyone had any idea to as..

What caused this dime to be this color?
How rare this error is?
What this coin could be worth in it's current condition?

Any informaton on this would be greatly appreciated.
I've attached a couple pics of it beside a standard 2019 Canadian dime.

Thanks,
Justin

Pillar of the Community
Canada
943 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Canada
61 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, does it stick to a magnet ? And can you weight it ?
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, yes it sticks to a magnet and feels by hand to be same weight as a normal dime, I don't currently have a scale to accurately weigh something this light but I will get a scale, weigh it and get back to you.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4602 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need weight, might be missing plating, an XRF would tell for sure
Learn More...
United States
90906 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3698 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A regular modern Canadian 10 cent coin has 3 coatings on steel: Nickel, copper, and then nickel again.
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome @jbuck!

@john100 - thanks for the info, I will have a scale by Wednesday, going to weigh it and post weight here.

@oriole - thanks for the info, looks like it might be missing the nickel coating.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2192 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is, its missing the nickel plating.
Nice find !
Edited by darryldarryl
09/22/2020 1:25 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9306 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have handled a number of 10 cent errors, it could be a plating error or even a foreign planchet strike, or, a post mint alteration. These are tougher, because most foreign planchet barely fit the collar and are usually fully struck. I can't say much more unless I see the coin in hand.

Is the thickness and weight similar to a similar 10c of the same year?

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@darryldarryl - Your theory sounds very plausible!

@SPP-Ottawa - Do you know what would be most rare out of a plating error, a foreign planchet strike, or a post mint alteration?

I am getting a scale tomorrow, will weigh it against a 10 cent dime from same year and post my results here.

Thanks for the info!
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UPDATE: I weighed the 2019 copper looking dime against a regular 2019 dime using a professional digital scale and they both weighed exactly 1.75grams

The copper looking coin also has the same milled edge as the regular 2019 coin as you can see in the attached image.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4602 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take a drive to Canadian Coin and Currency, ask them to XRF it, because of the date it could be worth a couple hundred bucks if not PMD. The XRF will tell if it's a foreign planchet, missing plating or PMD
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john100 - Do you by any chance know if Canadian Coin and Currency will XRF the coin for free or what the cost is?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4602 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretend you want to sell it and you need an XRF to find out what this coin is, almost sure they will not charge you, people bring in silver items to sell and they XRF to find the scrap bullion value
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john100 = thanks for the advice, will definitely do that and share my findings here afterwards
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 825Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05