Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1945-S Jefferson Nickel...inverted (S) Mintmark?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 272Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  06:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JDRMCB to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking through some of my UNC 40% silver wartime nickels and noticed that one of my 1945-S nickels had a noticeably different S mintmark. I mean, it looks the same, just inverted. I checked a few online reference sites that list IMM's but I could not find one for a 1945-S Jefferson nickel. Anybody ever hear of one? Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think...I could just be seeing things again, lol.

Thanks in advance,

JDRMCB

Pillar of the Community
United States
1681 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't tell but an overlay is probably the best way to tell.
Beautiful toning on yours by the way.
(The upper serif does look a little wider, like it may be an RPM but I can't see any notching.)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably RPM-029. Strong example, too.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, what's RPM-029 though. I know RPM but what's the 29 for ? I see larger at top too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
540 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to variety vista web site and look at Jefferson nickel rpm's then look at 1945-S then look at rpm #29
Tim Hughes
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I should have added a link for you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
654 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Squirrel is right.
Also if your upper curve is smaller than lower. That's the way it should be. Then it's not inverted/upside down. (But) that's just my opinion
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a different looking font.

Check here:
http://varietyvista.com/05%20JN%20R...%201945S.htm
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1272 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sensiblesal there can be many varieties of the same kind (e.g. RPMS, DDOs, DDRs, OMMs, RDVs, ODVs, etc.) For a given year, so databases like Wexler's, Variety Vista, coppercoins, and even the CPG have their own nomenclature for indexing them. RPM-029 is the variety vista (James Wiles) nomenclature.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 272Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05