Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 5c Proof DDO With Different Dies Creating Proof Working Die

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 290Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  1:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi:

Does this coin have any variety value? I am analyzing the photo the seller made available and notice in TRUST, the S appears to be made of two separate devices, an S with a rounded end, and an S with a serif end. In the pictures provided, I have also raised attention to the R as this also looks like two devices from two separate dies. The circles represent potential split serifs or doubling. Interested to get your feedback on whether this coin is a DDO contender or other variety? I would purchase only for variety value and not the coin because of mint year or type.

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Very nice coin ! Looks great to me, just perfect. lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The minting process would make it impossible to use two different sets of dies to make one side of a coin.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by Willburton
09/23/2020 8:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16977 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The minting process would make it impossible to use two different sets of dies to make one side of a coin.

But it is possible to use two different hubs to make one die. I can't tell from the images if that is the case or not.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it not possible that the working die is created by two different working hubs, one with the rounded end to the S and the other the serif end to the S? It is clear to me the S has a rounded end, is there a resource for learning what font style was used in the obverse hub for Jefferson nickels?

I found this resource here helpful: http://goccf.com/t/294046
Pillar of the Community
United States
3020 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is possible for a working die to have been hubbed by two working hubs with different designs, in fact that is the exact definition of a Class III doubled die: http://www.doubleddie.com/203885.html

However, in this case, it is unlikely as there are no known design varieties from 1957, or adjacent years, with a rounded S. All nickels from that period had the serif. If there was a working hub used in 1957 with a rounded S, there should be documented examples.

Jefferson nickel Design Varieties are fairly well documented here: http://www.varietyvista.com/04a%20J...arieties.htm

Also it is very difficult to tell what is going on in your images. The areas of the coin you highlighted are being affected by reflection and glare from your lighting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1677 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The top of the R is looking like MD to me. There doesn't seem to be extra thickness there. It's hard to tell if there is any notching or if it is lighting on the letters.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 290Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05