Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unidentified Token From Gulf Of İzmir (Turkish Ferry Token)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 345Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
293 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  11:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this medal/token in a bulk foreign coin bag. Pretty sure it's not a coin but can't pin it down. Found an image on the web in a foreign language so not much help. Otherwise Google and Coinoscope didn't provide the answers so am resorting to the good old folks at CC.

Diam. 22.0mm
Weight 4.5g

Thanks

Learn More...
United States
17366 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dg, that is a Turkish ferry token. Here is the numista link:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces142893.html

I used IZMIR KORFEZ TOKEN as the keywords in my search.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
35977 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Google and Coinoscope

Oh,so we are your last choice for help
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1862 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
izmir korfez is Gulf of Smyrna

hatti isleimesi means something like 'line operation'.

Perhaps something to do with a railway line in the area?
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4413 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence nailed it

Car ferry token for the port at IZMIR.
Member: ANA and NTCA
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
90913 Posts
Valued Member
Australia
293 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Guys and Gals.

@John1 - Think of yourselves as the elite forces that people turn to to get a job done when other methods fail!
Valued Member
Australia
293 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I used IZMIR KORFEZ TOKEN as the keywords in my search.

Pretty sure I tried that using token as well as medal. Mind you, based in Australia I'll get different results to what you see from the USA.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 345Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05