Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mor Or Time Lapse Roo (Tlr)?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 285Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
281 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  02:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Since I have been coin collecting I have always used the term Mob of Roos in reference to the 5 roos on the standard $1 coin. Last night (after a few glasses or red) while searching for cud errors on a bunch of $1 coins I had an epiphany. This is not a bunch of roos but rather 1 roo hopping from right to left and turning, towards the viewer, then moving from left to right before stopping to look over its shoulder. The 5 different roos show perfectly the different stages of kangaroo motion, full stride to stand still. I'm sure Stuart Devlin had this in mind with the design. Would love to know if others, with a second look, see what I see. I reckon it should be renamed TLR (Time Lapse Roo) rather that MOR.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17395 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stuart Devlin was the designer, who was commissioned by the Australian Government to provide the definitive designs for Australian decimal coinage.

He was also appointed Goldsmith to the Queen, for an extensive period.

I remember a documentary interview shown on TV many years ago on the research and development on each of the designs.

About 20 years ago I met up with him personally at a top level jewelry and gemstone exhibition in Sydney, because my other great hobby interest is in gem faceting.

We also discussed the Australian coin designs.

His favorite work was for the reverse design for the Australian 20 Cents.
This coin shows a platypus under the surface of the water with the denomination '20' above.
He mentioned that it is very difficult to show the surface of water on a metal surface, and to show that in a circular frame as demanded by coin design, and was very satisfied with the result.

I very much agree with him, when he explained why, and the success achieved.

His definitive designs for the reverse of Australian circulating coinage have been in continuous production since 1966, the year when Australia converted from Pounds, shillings and pence to Dollars and Cents.
Valued Member
Australia
281 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sel - You were lucky to have met him. A talented artist. I think the Aussie coin designs are great. Have to look into his designs for OS coins. He's probably turning in his grave seeing all the pad printed bangers and mash churned out by many mints today (including Australia).
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2536 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David, I have always thought the reverse of the dollar shows one roo in different stages of jumping.
I am happy to refer to it as mob of roos though. My user name is a reference to me and my family as my mob.

Steve (Trigger) :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 14,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
731 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sel, slight error in stating that Devlins reverses have been in continuous production since 1966; correctly speaking it is since 1964 as that is when they started making the stockpile ready for release on D Day (14th Feb 1966).
He was certainly the greatest coin designer of the 20th century.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17395 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I will agree: a slight error !
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1572 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   03:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd never considered that but I think you're onto something David.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 285Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05