Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kolit Gauge - By Michael Kolman

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 247Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey, I have this 1963 error coin book by Michael Kolman, Jr. called "The numismatic Flying Eagle, Indian and Lincoln Cent Errors " !.
Do they measure Off Center errors like this ? Or just Percentages ?
Learn More...
United States
17468 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm this is the first time that the word "kolit" has ever been used on CCF. So that I can learn, can you please describe this device in more detail? Personally, I've only even seen percentages used.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2483 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  06:34 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made a GIF image last year to help identify the percentage off center on coins. It's in 1­­% graduations and gives a rough idea of the offset.

I had to reduce the size and desaturate the color so I could post it here, but I have a full size version that's 6.4 mb if anyone want's a copy.

The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yoko, that is SO cool!!
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a Kolit Gauge that measures as a fraction . Example 1/4 O.C , 1/8 O.C
I wish I could take a photo but gauge is too big . It's like what you showed but in terms of fractions like I showed examples of . I guess after awhile you can eyeball it, nThere was something called a Kolit gauge which was used to both specify the direction in which a coin was off center and to determine the percentage. The directional gauge was like a clock, it is why many old time collectors will refer to positions on a coin as "K-8" or "K-10". The off center gauge was a series of arcs showing the area of a struck coin in 10% increments. The same gauge could be used to determine the amount of material missing in a large clipped planchet.o ?
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Yoko. Subtract from 100 and can determine the amount of clipping too.

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 247Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05