Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 LMC With Doubling--WDDO-001?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 429Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  7:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've checked out the description and photos of LMC 1980 DDO-001 on Wexler, and this coin appears to be one of this variety. Look at the thickening and separation lines LIBERTY, IGWT and the date. There is obvious doubling on ABE's bowtie and vest, and on LIBER in LIBERTY.
I look forward to your comments. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDO-001 is a major die variety most visible on the date. This is not it.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If does have doubling on every one of the pertinent areas. If not DDO-001, is it a possible new variety, or just a UFO?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46639 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You can see the differences when you view the normal and the DDO side by side.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop and Sam, I appreciate your feedback. But, what is your assessment of the doubling on the devices on this coin? In particular, there's doubling on LIBER, and ABE's bowtie and vest clearly have doubling in the same areas as on DDO-001.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46639 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is not a doubled die. Circulation flattening happened to it. In oreder to be from that die, all hub doubling must be present. Take a look again at the side by sides to see the enlargement of the doubled dies. Your coin is a normal example. Thus why I posted the side by sides.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, not sure where you are seeing circulation flattening. Could you be specific? I do not see flattened images. Does anyone else?
I admit that the date does not looked thickened, but there is line separation in the 8 and 0. Also, there is clear doubling /separation lines on LIBER. Look at each letter of LIBER and you can see a clear doubled image which is not flat, but rather has a ridged, curved appearance. Are you saying that this is caused by circulation flattening?
Also what about the doubled image of the bowtie and the vest?
I used a single filtered light source for the photos---so light reflection is not an issue in my humble opinion.
I am sincerely trying to learn what the causal difference is between the doubling we see on these devices, and DDO.
Thanks for your help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see absolutely zero evidence of doubling on this coin, so when you say to look at the LIBERTY and Abe's bowtie, I'm not really sure what it is you want me to see. Everything about this coin looks like the thousand other 1980 cents I've looked at (none of which have been the DDO either, sadly). It's a fairly scarce variety, and there don't seem to be any other notable DDOs for this date as Wexler and Variety Vista have no other DDO listings besides the big one (which, since a lot of people are checking for the big one and looking at this date in the process, suggests to me that there really aren't many if any other listing-worthy DDOs to be found.
My best finds:
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another one bites the dust ... I want to see a real DDO or DDR... lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am also not seeing any evidence of doubling.

Quote:
I admit that the date does not looked thickened, but there is line separation in the 8 and 0

Not sure what separation you're referring to, but if there is no enlargement to the devices, then there is no doubling. Doubling will always enlarge the devices. If it is not, then whatever effect you are seeing May be caused by DDD, contact marks on the devices, reflection ( even if you are just using a single filtered light source), etc.

I see a hit on the south of B in LIBERTY, and reflection in the north.

Circulation flattening on the date, and a few small hits to the 8 and 0.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sam and Ty--Please know I would not have posted this topic if I did not believe there was evidence of doubling that appeared to be a DDO. If you look at the photos on Wexler for the 1980-DDO-001, and then look at my coin, you can see the areas where there is similar doubling. On LIBER, it is to the East and SE on each letter, and I am surprised that you cannot see it. When I magnify the photos the doubling becomes even more evident. And, look at the Wexler photos of the bowtie and vest doubling for the DDO-001, and then look at my coin--you can see doubling in the identical areas--at least I can.
Thanks for taking the time to weigh in.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at the images again on this coin and am still puzzled. Here is another photo of LIBER with my lines highlighting the portions of the letters that look doubled, and another photo of the bowtie and vest with arrows highlighting the doubling. I don't want to beat a dead horse---I just want to learn what is causing these devices to appear in this way which I
would not call normal.

On the first photo, all of the letters in LIBER appear to have separation ridging that is east and south. In particular, look at the bottom of the letter E for this separation ridging.

On the second photo see the arrow pointing north which highlights an area of the bowtie (the area between the two black dots) where there is doubling. The two arrows pointing west highlight the areas where there is doubling on the vest.

Is this just from circulation flattening, or something else?
Thanks for your input.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4445 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In almost all 80-82(Large date) cents the motto as well as LIBERTY are pretty thick. If you cannot find any die markers to match and are convinced it is a new variety I would send it to James Wiles if Variety Vista for attribution.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much obliged Jim0815. I assume by your response that you also see the doubling on this coin which I highlighted. Others have flatly responded "there is no doubling" which I find really surprising. I don't know if it is DDO. If I want confirmation up or down, is there a reason you suggest Variety Vista as opposed to Wexler?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty sure Jim's words were "if you are convinced it is a new variety." No one but you sees doubling here, mb.
My best finds:
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all due respect, you wanted the opinion of the group, and several of us have chimed in with our opinion. It seems you are convinced otherwise despite the opinions given, so send it in for attribution and prove us wrong.

My only other input: the areas you have pointed out on LIBERTY and the bow tie look to be some slight DDD.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 429Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05