Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Error, Can Someone Share Some Knowledge On This Coin With Me Please?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 358Next Topic  
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  8:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ang5212 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi was hoping someone here could school me on this coin and what has happened to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Angela

Edited by Ang5212
09/28/2020 9:08 pm
Learn More...
United States
17469 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ang, first welcome to CCF. Second, it looks to me like someone sandwiched this cent between two others and the compressed hard enough to transfer some of the details from the out two coins to this one. Then it looks like they heavily polished it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1272 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a vice job. The second image is incuse and reversed, so definitely not from a double strike.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Pillar of the Community
United States
1179 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
also looks to be plated to resemble the elusive 44 steel cent. All just damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51396 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this is an altered vise job coin.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3797 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
vice job, not a mint error, deliberate PMD. No premium.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  07:31 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin was squeezed more that once. Some of the letters that transferred are doubled and slightly overlapping from slight rotation of the coins used to make the impressions seen on LIBERTY on the reverse and the letters of UNUM on the obverse with many other areas as well.

It looks like as many as 4 or 5 (more?) coins were destroyed while making this "Vise Job." As noted this happened outside of the mint, Post Mint Damage, so it's not an error.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Edited by Yokozuna
09/29/2020 07:36 am
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it's the Vice Squad
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ang5212 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You all are the best! Thanks so much for everyone's input!! I really appreciate y'all!
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ang5212 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And thank you all for the welcome! I picked up a large amount of coins from an estate auction turns out a father-in-law of homeowner was a coin dealer and when he passed they became the owner of all these coins which have now passed to me. Some have been polished, #128555; most have not thank goodness. I came across this one because it was in the bag of polished but there's still a lot to go through. Hope to bring more to you all and get input cause I'm very new at this! Thanks again everyone.
Learn More...
United States
91223 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46778 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/29/2020 12:59 pm
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ang5212 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Coop, that makes absolute perfect sense to me now! Actually I feel like I should be saying duh or something because it is so obvious to me. After reading your message I picked up a penny and felt like a big dummy. I'm reminded of something my grandpa would always say to me when I was struggling to figure something out, he'd say, "you better be careful always thinking so smart one day it just might make you stupid!" He would usually follow with a big laugh and then show me the answer I needed which was always so simple it would never cross my mind.
Edited by Ang5212
09/29/2020 4:55 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05