Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looks Too Good To Be Real

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 571Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2141 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  1:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...llar&_sop=15

I don't see anything really obvious, but the perfect toning looks so much like a fake that I'm suspicious.

The perfect placement of the hair strands looks off.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
09/29/2020 1:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5559 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are referring to item number 264880696425 I would be extremely leery of it, too! It looks too good to be true!

If it's such a nice coin why would it not have been sent in for slabbing like other nice coins in the estate?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2488 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next bid is only $105. And comes with finger prints included
Pillar of the Community
United States
2141 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't consider bidding on it. It might be a selectively polished original, as there are some in slabs with this kind of cameo-like enhancement. But it's REALLY well done if it's a fake. Too well done, with wear in all the right places. If it were real it would be north of $3000.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you are referring to item number 264880696425 I would be extremely leery of it, too! It looks too good to be true!

It appears to be an O-105, although I don't know what to make of the lines across the obverse. I'm not sure if they're from a planchet flaw or scratches or a combination of the two.

Edit to add, Disclaimer, I'm not as adept at attributing these as I am with the Capped Bust Halves.

http://maibockaddict.com/1795-o-105...dollar.shtml
Edited by AcesKings
09/29/2020 4:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2141 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Up to $675. I guess people have decided it's real. Still a relative bargain if it is, but 5 days to go.
Edited by thq
09/30/2020 8:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3603 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont see anything that says fake. If you can contact the seller and make a deal of it goes to a grading service and payment on verification of authenticity...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16978 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  04:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins real, hair has been reengraved.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Canada
191 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sergiomomesso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coin is real and price will probably pick up in the price range
Pillar of the Community
United States
2141 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks conder. Looking at Heritage, tooling the hairlines on 1795 halves is pretty common. Coins like this trade in the $1000-1500 range slabbed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 571Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05