Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early ASE's Regular Bullion (Not Proofs) Like 1986 Minted At San Fran?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 449Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hope I'm not wasting time here but something caught my attention that I need confirmation regarding ASE's.

I was asked by someone if it's true (Early 80/90's bullion ASE's) were minted at
San Fran rather than Philly?
My answer was Nope...,except proofs moved around a little from my recollection. I don't collect proofs but I do know they were produced at the different mint facilities.
He was referencing this question regarding the early Sunday morning show CSN with that Mike Guy?
Said he was promoting slabbed 1986&1987 (not proofs) just under $300 bucks that had a bridge label MS69 with the "S" mint and went on talking about FOIA that was uncovered (by someone?) to suggest these normally Philadelphia ASE's were actually minted at San Fran.

My other response was:
That's so confusing to say the least, I don't trust those coin shows on TV and the cost is usually whacked out.
Anyone out there here of this nonsense or am I missing something here?
The reason I ask is simple:
I have 4 ASE's in the process (as we speak) being graded TPG. (3-1987) and (1-1993)
These should just come back slabbed with no
S or P on the holder right?

Anyhow, I hope I don't sound stupid as I've collected quite a few raw 80's and 90's ASE's and have a grasp or concept of the mints and mintages but this thing with CSN is really baffling and frustrating to any and all collectors.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since ASE are bullion, they can in practice be minted at any mint. The bullion ASE have no mint mark, but through a freedom of information query, you can probably find the tracking or label number and figure out which monster box came from which mint. As an example when West Point closed because of Covid during April/May, about 400K of ASE were minted in PA, since the large retailers were able to find out which monster box labels were minted at PA, they along with the grading companies created an elaborate scheme to get people to pay extra for the PA minted ASE when they look exactly like the West Point ones and have no mint mark, but people will pay for "rarity" hence.....

You can read more here:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...ng-certified

Basically:

"Submitters will be required to send the entire, strapped and unopened monster box of Silver Eagles to verify the box tracking numbers as coming from the Philadelphia mint augmented production,"

"Monster boxes of 2020 American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins minted in Philadelphia were affixed with a typed label containing the box tracking number; additionally, box tracking numbers were hand written directly on the boxes," U.S. Mint said.

"Box tracking numbers 400,000 through and including 400,479 were used on boxes of coins minted in Philadelphia." The monster boxes each contain 25 tubes of 20 coins, for a total of 500 coins in each box.

Now the question WHY are you grading bullion ASE? you can buy most of the dates for a little over spot. You know that the slab is meaningless for bullion?

Heck I picked up all my ASE from the tubes.

Edited by hfjacinto
09/29/2020 2:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4876 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they come back MS 69's they will be a money loser

If they come back as MS 70's then the 87's will sell for north of $600 and the 93's in the four figure range

So there IS a point to grading bullion ASE's....if you get 70's

So if you think they look PERFECT...absolutely perfect...then there might be a 20% chance of getting a 70..and it might be worth a gamble.(opinion)
Edited by Foxwoods Man
09/29/2020 3:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You know that the slab is meaningless for bullion?

Tell that to the grading companies and TV coin guys that are making a lot of money thanks to slabbed bullion.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, Grading ASE's thru a TPG is probably not worth the effort if you're looking for the perfect 70. However, the ones I picked were not white ghosted or black pimpled. Nor were they contacted on the reverse shield or obverse outstretched arm or face of lady liberty. No scratching or fading in the fields but they each had some minimal toning from being inside a Dansco Album. Toning was even and not splotcy!
In other words, I picked some very nice ones with great
eye appeal. I have some very nice 96's in the same conditions and I'm just fishing how the grader really looks at ASE's that I'm sending...mainly for reference noting.
I don't mind the money spent for the knowledge received.
If you want to beat me up on that one...That's Quite Ok!
I will know here in a couple of weeks what grades they receive.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tell that to the grading companies and TV coin guys that are making a lot of money thanks to slabbed bullion.

People will buy almost anything, in a few decades will see whether any of it is worth it.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:

People will buy almost anything, in a few decades will see whether any of it is worth it.

Totally Agree with both insertions.
By the way hfjacinto, love your book album on ASE's!...
That takes due diligence and patience...KUDO's!
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  04:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mojomanbob54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mr. hfjacinto I see that you have a 1996 Proof in your Bullion Mint Silver Eagle Book HMmmmmmmm not complete! Check your tubes 1996!
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto
Quote:
Heck I picked up all my ASE from the tubes.

mojomanbob54
Quote:
Mr. hfjacinto I see that you have a 1996 Proof in your Bullion Mint Silver Eagle Book HMmmmmmmm not complete! Check your tubes 1996!

Ouch!...That must hurt. (96 regular vs 96 proof)
all them tubes and not a regular lower mintage 96?
Yep, the Philly 96 is definitely a "key date" for completion!
I didn't go thru tubes to pick up my 96'ers.
Actually bought them in completed albums.
GO FIGURE!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1996 was $45 in proof and $50 from a tube. Why would I not get a proof? It was $5 cheaper. I look at ASE as just bullion, so when a lower cost date is available in proof I would be dumb not to get it. I was offered a complete ASE album late in 2019 for $750, as I had most I passed. I see what eBay and the bullion internet companies charge for ASE, and I cringe. People will pay ridiculous amounts for things one can get cheaper.
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mojomanbob54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1996 was $45 in proof and $50 from a tube. Why would I not get a proof? It was $5 cheaper. I look at ASE as just bullion, so when a lower cost date is available in proof I would be dumb not to get it. I was offered a complete ASE album late in 2019 for $750, as I had most I passed. I see what eBay and the bullion internet companies charge for ASE, and I cringe. People will pay ridiculous amounts for things one can get cheaper.

As the famous ventriloquist 'Edgar Bergman" would say to his dummy Mortimer Smerd: What do you think about that response? DAH..... There is someone dumber than me!

Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto
Quote:
Quote:

mojomanbob54
Quote:
As the famous ventriloquist 'Edgar Bergman" would say to his dummy Mortimer Smerd: What do you think about that response? DAH..... There is someone dumber than me!

That's So...
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05