Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is An 1881-S Morgan Proof A Possibility

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 447Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an 1881-S Morgan $1 that has an excellent cartwheel and a patina with reflectivity mirroring just like any authentic proof Morgans.

I'll post photos later once I get some opinions on these:

If this could even occur for expected non-proof Morgans, have these types of Morgans been discovered in the past for this year or for other years?

Also, if it turns out to be an authentic proof, would the premium justify a TPG for this year and mm?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7832 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There cant be an 81-S proof only an 81-P proof. You can have a PL or DMPL
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5636 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many 1881-S Morgan dollars that have proof-like characteristics. Yours is probably one of them.

As far as anyone knows there were no 1881-S proof dollars struck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
575 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics would really help...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pics would really help...

I've decided to pass on the pictures because proofs are so hard to portray accurately.

To be honest I didn't even think about DMPL or PLs because I have never had one. After giving my initial question a second thought, it seems highly unlikely that my sample could be a proof.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52191 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're probably right, but we'd still like to see your coin, understanding you are not presenting it as a proof.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photo's please. lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2020  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The next shots after this set should give a more realistic imagery of the reflectivity and blackheads.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know we need to further discuss the proof issue.

But even though this is not the cleaning forum it would be nice to know how to rid the patina of this black smudge stuff.

It's interesting how the star seems to have a protective bubble around it, impervious to this discoloration effect. What chemical interaction and physical dynamics are in place here?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47421 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2020  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if it was a cent, the could be carbon spots. But being silver takes that out of the suggestion. Looks like somthing was on the coin and a cleaning removed it away from the edges of the star on the last image. It may be tarnish? If the coin was cleaned years ago, the color maybe appearing on the coin now. Not a bonus for the coin, more of a bad distraction. If there ar fine scratches on the highest points of the design of the coin, it may have been cleaned with a polish years ago. Some might try acetone. But I've never used it before on a coin. For circulated cents, all I ever used is mineral oil to help remove the grunge that cleans to the devices. But this looks like a surface contamination issue.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17044 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a proof, not even a good Prooflike. Looks like it was cleaned in the past and is now retoning badly.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52191 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Afraid I must agree.
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mojomanbob54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Abused cleaned coin, sad!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 447Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05