Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Very Old USA Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 526Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  5:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add flanders8008 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found these two old banknotes in a book.
The ten shillings one is in very poor condition and has been glued it seems to some lined paper but it's pretty interesting.
The five shillings one is in a bit better shape.
I would love to know more about these old notes including any value.
TIA!

Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2662 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are colonial currency, and that's all I can say. They could be real or not, I don't know. Good luck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2906 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The October 1st 1773 Pennsylvania 5 shilling note has auction history here - https://currency.ha.com/c/search-re...h-A-K-071316

I haven't had any luck with the New York note yet.
Edited by SteveInTampa
10/07/2020 6:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a 20 shilling note from September 15, 1755 New York. fr#NY-141. Although not a 10 shilling note I believe the date would still be the same. So possibly a start point if someone has the correct reference guide. I did do every year of the 1750's with no positive result for 10 shilling in New York.

I did a quick search - so take this with a grain of salt.
A couple things I see that make me suspect or this note being genuine:
The word SHILLINGS is abbreviated in the border at top of note you present. I do not see an abbreviating on any other note in my first quick pass to find this particular one.
Another thing the line that has the date on it ends in 10 s. Then it appears it restate 10 s. on the next row. That is odd.
The last thing is the "It's" Death to counterfeit - I see examples of 'Tis death to counterfeit, To counterfeit is death, and Death to counterfeit. I did not see anything saying the word "It's"
Design is relatively close to the same as the 20 shilling. Very few changes. During that time period that gives me suspicion as well since the notes were usually pretty unique I think.
Lastly the fact that no 10 shilling from that date comes up in a multitude of search combinations gives me concern pause this is genuine.

So I hope something more positive is found by someone with more time to do a deeper dive than I did and my suspicions are proven to be unfounded.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Edited by scopru
10/09/2020 3:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1111 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I saw this post I knew I saw something somewhere about these colonial banknotes:
HDn6ZS54ico

There are actually a few videos produced on Colonial banknotes so might be worthwhile to explore them. Perhaps Ray Williams or the Wilmington Coin Club might be able to help with your research.
Edited by walk2dwater
10/09/2020 5:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first note is very suspect. It seems to me someone tried to stain it to look old. The lines on the back look suspect as well. Other note seems genuine.
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may have noticed, your Pennsylvania note was printed by Hall and Sellers. This printing firm was originally started by Benjamin Franklin, who brought in David Hall as a business partner in 1748. In 1766 Franklin sold his share to Hall, who then took on William Sellers as his partner.

Franklin was still alive when your note was printed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 526Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05